Question about water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinthos26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm sorry if this may be a dumb question but I plan on starting an aquarium and have been reading everything before I start but I haven't found the answer to this one question. When you do a water change does the temperature of the new water need to be the same as in the tank? My guess would be yes but does that mean I should put a heater in the new water first or what?

Hi and welcome. You have a very good question!! You don't need a heater for the new water. The human finger can tell the difference between water by as close to 2degrees Celsius. So when you are about refill just put your hand in the old water in the tank and the new and make sure it's at least to your knowledge close to the same! That's what I do and my fish are happy and healthy. If you need anything else just post a comment/ reply.

Yep it needs to be the same temperature. A heater is not needed, just adjust the water temperature coming out of the tap. I go by feel and rarely see the aquarium temperature change after doing a water change. I take the water out, then take the last bucket of aquarium water and put it next to the tub. Then I match the water temperature coming out of the tap to the water in the bucket. I usually go back and fourth several times to make sure it feels the same, it works well for me.

Some people use thermometers to match the temp, that works too.

I go by feel, touching both the bucket water and the tank.

My thermometer is easily detachable, I just hold it in the running water and adjust the temp bit by bit until it matches what the tank water was, then fill my bucket. If I can get it within a degree I'm happy. FWIW :)

Thanks for all the help! That is such an easy solution I feel dumb that it somehow did not cross my mind =]

Back
Top Bottom