question about wood (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alerady scrubbed...but I can't boil it cause it's too damn big! what about boiling water and pouring it on the wood in a tub? then letting it soak? and like, repalcing the water when it gets lukewarm?

well...i suppose if you don't have a container big enough to boil it then that's the next best thing...not sure how well that'd work though

That will work just as well. Give it a few good soakings. Then let it sit for a week or two changing water every day or so. You will find out if it will become water logged that way as well.

I use a nylon bristle brush and scrub the wood to remove any dirt, rocks, insects, etc.... If possible I then chuck the peice of wood with rock attached in a five gallon bucket with some water (treated) for my next water change. After a day or two I put it in the tank. I have just chucked it straight in my tank from the creek also in native tanks with no problems. Well except for the caddis hatch later on. For larger pieces after cleaning I leave in the tub and fill with about ten to twenty gallons of treated water and rotate the drift wood every day or so or until the wife says the kids need a bath. :lol:

hah thanks for the advice! i scrub mine with a toothbrush :mrgreen:

:edit:
I've got good news! When I went downstairs to check on it, It was at the bottom of the tub! :O I picked it up and let it drop back in the water and it's kinda the same bouyancy as the water, b/c it sinks, but still floats around under water. yay! it might work! I added a hellava lot of salt, and I'll let it soak overnight and try it tomarrow in the tank.

ps- when i went to check it the water was clear also!
It seems like it was meant to be!!! :D :D :D

Glad your wood sank.

I have collected all of my rocks and driftwood myself from local creeks, ponds, etc. Not only have I found pieces many times nicer than anything I have seen for sale, but I take a special pride in knowing that my found natural materials make my aquariums look so much better and unique.

I simply cannot imagine buying rocks when living on a planet made almost entirely out of rocks.

My barn is near the highline canal, its like this man made creek/trail in colorado that goes for 100miles or something. Any way there are tons of like 100 year old cotton wood trees that are always droping branches in the canal. Would cotton wood be safe for my aquarium?

I live in a area that has creecks and rivers running all around me {with in a 1mile to 16 miles }The dwarft wood and rocks in my tank all came from a river about 15miles from me. If you clean the wood up or rocks let it soak in water for a ouple of days. It'll be fine in the tank.
I've never bought a single rock or wood for my tank. I know we all can't be so lucky. But if you live near a creeck or stream or river. Then go for it it's better then store bought any day. Natural the way God made it. The fish sem to like it better too!
here's a picture of my latest find on wood.
f0dfeac9.jpg

ha, yeah. that's true why buy it?

Anyway, It's in my tank now and I think it looks wodnerful. it's a couple inches bigger than I thought it would be, but it's not like the fish are gonna escape. lol

i think I need more plants...

Attachments

• stuff_005.jpg
    stuff_005.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 39
not everybody has interesting rocks and such about. :( And I wouldn't put anything that's been in our river anywhere near my fish. lol

Back
Top Bottom