Question for everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KarenDeann

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29g tank that houses 5 tiger barbs, 2 blue gouramis, 1 pleco and 1 blue crayfish. My question is, can I get 1 oscar ( size of the tiger barbs right now) and it not eat my other fish until I can get a larger tank to put it in? I know Oscars can get very big and I am planning on getting a 55 gal tank soon, but Petsmart has the most beautiful oscars right now. I am new to fishkeeping and I need all the help I can get.
Thanks for all the advice.

Not a good idea KarenDeann. Aside from the room that even a single oscar requires, there's the issue of compatibility. An oscar will kill your existing fish.

likewise..
why is there a crayfish in the tank ????

crayfish (regardless of size) will attack any fish.
I once had a 1inch crayfish - by any means possible, he would try and catch a danio that was swimming 2 feet at the top of the tank.
trust me, even if they cannot climb to catch a top dwelling fish, they WILL find a way (fish sleep and crayfish can pounce and jump over 5inches)

I concur with BrianNY on this one. You have to resist the temptation to bring home a fish just because you want him.

Some time ago, I was present at an Aquarium Club auction. I've always wanted koi angels and a breeder had donated a couple for the auction. This was a goldnen opportunity but alas, I didn't have a tank ready for them. Members who were present and knew of my plight did comfort me and assured me that I was doing the right thing in passing them up.

I will never forget that. :)

I have to agree. It would not be a great idea. Oscars grow very qucickly, in 3 months, maybe less depending on the size of the baby oscar and how much you feed him, your gonna have a problem on your hands. Oh and just so you don't find out later after you spent the mony, a full grown oscar needs a 75 gallon tank to really be happy and thrive.

All Oscars are cute and beautiful when they are juvenals. There will be more. Wait until you have a proper set up. Do some research. IMO, a 55g is still a little small. Oscars do not get large, they can get huge and very fast no matter what size tank you have them in.

Oscars seem to be a phase that many aquarists go through myself included. They are really cool when they are small, but provide very limited opportunities as they grow due to size, lack of compatibility, and mess they make. Next to goldfish oscars are about the messiest fish you can have and you will require an excellent filtration system along with dedicated routine tank maintenance. I think this is why many give up on them. I can not tell you how many times I have seen adult oscars at the LFS that someone has brought in.

Don't mean to offend any dedicated oscar keepers out there, but I think all would admit long term oscar care is only for the few and I would never recommend them to a new hobbyist just beginning to explore the tropical fish keeping world.

Here is a link with some more info. to get you started:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1090

BTW, 12" is probably modest I have seen large ones 14-18"

HTH,

I agree with the rest. I am absolutely in love with these two angelfish at the LFS and I am in the process of setting up a 55gal aquarium. My mom came over yesterday and said "I'm going to buy you those fish you want, lets go" it took much restraint to tell her "no, I can't mom, I have no where proper to put them" she had thought I could just put them in my 10 gal for a few days while I got my setup up and going. And yes I may lose them now, someone elsemay buy them, but I would rather that than to bring these beautiful fish home and harm them or even kill them.

Also just a side note on oscars. They are cute when they are little but as they grow (and I mean GROW) they lose alot of their color and "cuteness" you may want to research them a bit before buying. I have seen the adult forms in a LFS near my house and I would never buy one now ;) they are just very large and very messy fish.

I'll make the score 7-0...
I really, really want a Paratilapia poleeni or P. bleekeri and I know I could technically house'im with my Oscar in our 75gal, but due to real world conditions I continue to control myself... Just barely :wink:
A 55gal is the absolute minimum for a adult Oscar and he will tax every bit of it, I highly recommend a 75gal or larger for a adult Oscar. Anything less is living in a closet, while the 75gal is like a medium sized studio apartment.
My 8.5" (SL) Oscar is already IMO needing room to grow and exercise, that and I'd like to get some Silver dollars for dithers, so I'm getting'im a 150 or a 180gal come tax time.

Not much sence in me putting my 2 cents in here since everyone else has got it 100% correct.

But I thought Id make it 8-0.
:)

marliah said:
Also just a side note on oscars. They are cute when they are little but as they grow (and I mean GROW) they lose alot of their color and "cuteness" you may want to research them a bit before buying. I have seen the adult forms in a LFS near my house and I would never buy one now ;) they are just very large and very messy fish.
Large and very very messy 8O ... Yes, you better believe it!
But most of the adult Oscars at LFS's are castaways from those who no longer want them, can't afford to keep'em, don't want to do the work involved with upkeep, older specimens from breeders (not good to breed any longer, so out they go :x ) and so on, hence these large adults usually have experienced alot of neglect or just simply less than favorable conditions.
And it shows :evil:
A well cared for adult, with proper feeding (varied diet, vitamins and color enhancers), water parameters and ample housing is a beautiful colorful fish :D ! You cannot beat a Oscar for personality, intelligence and interaction. How many other fish will follow you around the room (granted within the confines of their tank)? Spit gravel at the glass to get your attention? Pout, throw temper tantrums or beg better than any dog...
Have no doubt they are indeed charming.
Mine even plays with toys, his curiousty knows no bounds.
Well kept adult Oscars are Beautifuland Charming!

now I wish I had a huuuuuuuge tank for an oscar ... or more. Just a quick question, does anyone know if oscars do better in huge tanks with other oscars or would they be happy in something like a 120gal as the only oscar in the tank? Could they be kept with other fish and be happy? I just think such a smart fish would do best with natural "friends" and natural aggression/territorialism to keep the mind occupied.

A pair would fit nicely in 120 gallon tank. You could also do some thing like an oscar and a JD or some other large new world cichlid. Just remember despite thier reps Oscars are not the most aggresive of fish. Green devils and others are much more agggresive.

Yes, but not for everyone as evidenced by the castaways and especially not a beginner.

rubysoho said:
now I wish I had a huuuuuuuge tank for an oscar ... or more. Just a quick question, does anyone know if oscars do better in huge tanks with other oscars or would they be happy in something like a 120gal as the only oscar in the tank? Could they be kept with other fish and be happy? I just think such a smart fish would do best with natural "friends" and natural aggression/territorialism to keep the mind occupied.
Whether or not a O will be compatible with any tankmate(s) is wholly dependent on each Oscars personality. For the most part O's are the relative pu ss ycats (word somehow violates ~TOS~) of the Cichlid world.
But they can be very territorial with each other, particularly when space is lacking or breeding. Sometimes as with any fish you get a psycho who cannot be kept with anyone.
The best scenario is a breeding pair, but alot get lucky and have two O's who buddy up with no problems as long as the tank size is suffcient.
The best way to keep a O with other fish is to raise'em with other fish, they seem to be more tolerant that way, but reaching maturity can bring out the need to establish some territory.
A single O with a school of dithers and perhaps a cat/plec in a 120gal is very do'able, even better in a 150gal, which is what I'm getting, then two O's with company is possible.

thanks guys, sorry for stealing the thread. I've wanted an oscar for a long time now, but I know for sure that I don't have the space/money for one. Now lets hand this thread back to the owner :wink:

Thank you for all the advice. I am definately going to wait on the Oscar, even though I really want one. I will wait until I have a proper set up to house one.

Back
Top Bottom