Question on fish transfer from QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dale_I

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased some rainbow fish and oto's from LFS. One rainbow didn't make it, and the replacement I received either contracted or had what I believe is columnaris. For details you can view this thread:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/pimafix-dosing-question-174220.html

My question is about the 4 rainbows and couple oto's that do not have any columnaris symptoms. I am not well versed enough in columnaris, and haven't read any research that would lead me one way or the other.

Is it safe to go ahead and transfer the 6 fish showing no signs of columnaris into the main tank so I can treat the one fish that doesn't seem to be getting any better more aggressively?

On the "transfer" thoughts, I would like to up the treatment to include Furan-2, an antibacterial, to the water and would like to limit the fish that would be exposed to unnecessary meds and lighten the bio load since an antibacterial may wipe out some of the BB.

On the "no transfer" thoughts, I obviously don't want to take the chance of introducing columnaris to a healthy tank.

My research leads me to believe that if there are no signs of the bacteria, there is no infection and the immune system of the fish is not compromised and has been able to avoid contracting it. In this case, transfer of the healthy fish should be acceptable. But, I would definitely appreciate the knowledge of others before deciding what I should do.

Thanks for any insights.

Just my opinion, but i would keep ALL of your new fish in QT for atleast another 3wks (or longer)and seperately QT the fish that are the sickest for additional treatment. A combo of maracyn & maracyn2 seems to be the most effective in treating columnaris (which is bacterial infection) & any subsidary infections that may accompany it. I wouldnt risk introducing any new fish to your main tank until you are positive that they are disease-free.

From the little I know about Columnaris...it is extremely contagious, and there's no chance I'd let those other fish into the DT. There's no sense in risking your entire stock when you have a quarantine tank. The downside is that meds can be very hard on fish and should only be used as needed...but it's not worth the risk IMO to remove the ones that (currently) appear healthy to spare them from potential treatment.

When I quarantine new fish, if there are any deaths or signs that something is not right I reset the clock back to zero and the quarantining period starts all over again.

Here's a good read-
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

OK... sounds like good advice. In that case, I think I'm going to purchase a better filter for the 20L. I'm currently using a Fluval U3, which has questionable capacity for bio media (IMO).

I think I'll get something that will hold more media, treat the entire tank with bactrerial treatment, then use some bio-rings from the main tank to intruduce good bacteria back to the QT tank after the med treatment using the new filter.

I liked the U3 because I can't use a HOB on the tank in its current location. But, overall, I'm not impressed by the ability to filter or the capacity of media. There is a lot of intake area, which doesn't draw any contaminants in. I can actually watch uneaten food float by the filter and not get picked up.

Thanks for the link eco23. I'll read it tonight after I get my shipping out.

eco23 - Very informative article. I appreciate you linking me. I was going to try Melafix in combination with Pimafix, but after reading that it is not effective on gram negative sources, I won't wast my time or money. I'll move straight to the Furan 2. I would associate with Kanaplex (as suggested), but I can't get it locally. However, I'll order some in case I need to follow the Furan 2 treatment with anything. It won't be bad to have on hand.

jlk - in reading through the article, the author mentions Erythromycin, which is Maracyn, being good for a gram postive antibiotic. But, like Melafix, it wouldn't be affective on a gram negative Columnaris bacteria. Although, he says there are many sources that inadvertantly prescribe it. He does say if the symptoms continue after using Melafix or Maracyn, it is an excellent indication that columnaris is diagnosed since those treatments will not stop it.

Thanks again!

Good call everyone. I lost a snail last night and a Boesemani today. Started with the antibiotic today and hoping to save the rest of them.

jlk -- Although the Marcycn wasn't recommended, on re-reading the article it did say that Marcyn 2 was effective on gram negative bacteria. Maracyn (Erythromycin) bad, but Maracyn 2 (Minocycline) good. No wonder people get confused!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom