Question on my new BN placos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motherspice

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got 2 BN placos (Bonnie and Clyde) and so far they are great and may I add so so beautiful, We so love them ....now for the questions, lol How do I know they are eating?? I never see them eat....I always see them on the tank wall or on something else like the air hose, filter heater you get the picture, now this tank is not that old its about a month old there is a tiny bit of algea but not much, we seen that the filter had some and now nothing, lol..We feed the fish flake food, bottom feeder shrimp pellets, and I got spirulina tabs that my pet store told me to get for the BN says its for sucker catfish and other algea eating fish... When I put that in my mollys and swords go nuts, lol but I never see the BN go for any ..I give them the tab about an hour befor I shut the light for the night......Please help we really love these little guys

Great selection, I love these little guys. Since their mouths are downturned, you may not ever actually see them eating. So long as they are active and scouring the bottom, they are fine. Those bottom feeder pellets are excellent.

You can also get a veggie clip and hang some cut cucumbers and zucchini (take out the seeds and pulp). They will love you for it.

I agree if they are active and growing they are eating. Some supplemental veggies would be a good idea.

well if they dont die they are eating. i feed mine a range of veggies and fruits.

I have the same issue with my livebearers eating the algae wafers before my ottos can get near 'em.....I add in different places in the tank, and I add in something like bloodworms simultaneously to distract the livebearers. Then, I leave, so the ottos might not be too shy to come out.

If you feed cucumber or zucchini, remove the seeds - the fish don't eat them and they just make a mess. I like to hollow out the seeds from half of a small zuchinni and weigh it down. The BN plecs love going inside the zucchini tunnel to feed. By morning, all that is left is the skin!

I've seen my BN plecs feeding on the spirulina wafers. When your fish get acclimated to the tank, they will come out more, and you may be able to observe them feeding.

Also, I want to mention the benefit of real driftwood for BN plecs. The readily available hiding places makes the fish feel; more secure in the tank = you'll see them more often. Also, many species of plecs ingest the wood which aids their digestion. I prefer the dark Malaysian driftwood found in the LFS. It sinks immediately and is free of chemicals and parasites.

Back
Top Bottom