Question on plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nick h

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I bought a 150 gallon tank from Craigslist (bigger is better, right?) and had some questions about the plumbing. My plan is to have freshwater, a wet dry sump, and have sunfish. The guy I got the tank from had an overflow box with 2-2" drains in it and 2-3/4" returns all drilled in the back. The size coming from the sump pump housing is 1 1/2". The pump will be lifting water close to 5'. My first question is, that seems to be a little small going from the 1 1/2" sump pipe to 2-3/4" pipes for the return. Isn't that going to restrict the pump from its full potential?
Second it seems the drain pipes are way oversized. I guess you would never have to worry about your tank over flowing because of to much water coming from the sump. What I'm thinking is to have the 2-2" drains run seperate to the top of a sterilite container, then go through my wet dry and pump back into the tank. I was wondering if I could put a check valve in the return pipe so it doesn't siphon back water from the tank. Does this sound like it will work or am I missing something important. Here are some pics. Having trouble posting pics, I'll get them up.

I've taken out the overflow box and am cleaning it up. I plan to re seal the tank because the silicone looks really bad. Once that is done I plan on re doing the overflow like it was.

img_1253413_0_d4a18c9581151fe372b76ae7dcd7754a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom