Question on shrimp......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a question, with my 75G stocking, are there any shrimp that will work, like maybe cherry shrimp? Or will they just become a meal for the fish I have?

I can envision sort of a battle royal occurring...shrimp going after your bristlenoses and the rams going after the shrimp. That is precisely why I don't have any shrimp in my tank. :(

the rams and the shark might see the shrimp as live food.

because of my tiger barbs, I keep no shrimp. ghost shrimp last about 24 hours in my tank.

my Yo-yo loaches (which are smaller than clown loaches) leave my amano shrimp alone.

If you're not sure whether or not your fish will leave shrimp alone or not, you could always try Ghost Shrimp first. They're pretty inexpensive, so it doesn't matter as much if they get chomped. If they get left alone, you've got a pretty good chance with other varieties.

I'd say in your 75 they are going to turn up missing, only because there are many hidding places. Also a good reason to think they won't get eatten.

Mine (Ghost Shrimp) do just fine, and I don't have half those plants. Give it a try.

I keep shrimp in my 15 gal which contains 6 puffer fish (dwarf and fig 8). The puffers do eat them, however the tank is so heavily planted every time i think they have all been eaten, i find another one.

In a 75gal heavily planted, I dont think they will all get eaten, but i would try ghost shrimp before you do more expensive shrimp. I wouldn't go any higher quality the Cherry Reds.

Bamboo shrimp I would advoid. However vampire shrimp are slightly more hevily armored (IME) however they only look ugly, they cant really defend themselves however a large one should be OK.

One note, the tank with the puffers is actually breeding shrimp. Far slower then my breeding colony, but babies are actually surviving. Saw them today, and I was quite amazed. If you want to try a few cherry reds PM me.

I'm probably going to go and get a bunch of cherry shrimp off either ebay or aquabid. Will get them both for my 75G and my 26G. One last question, will a low ph be bad for the shrimp? I have the controller holding it between 6.4-6.6.

I've put up to 50 ghost shrimp in my tank at one time. I can count the survivors on 1 hand. (at least the ones I can see during the day). I'ld have to have a better look at night to get a real count.

The leading shrimp eater that was in my tank was bala sharks. I watched 1 hoover down 7 in a row.. (said bala ate himself to death).

The Rams are still too small to eat any. The clowns and sailfin leave them alone, as do the Kuhli's. I've seen the blackskirts chase a couple around if they tried swimming. More fell victim to shooting out the back of the tank or into the lights then anything else.

Just to put up more options on shrimp,I have one bamboo shrimp in my 30 and it stays where there is water flower(like the filter out-put).These are very interesting shrimp to feed,just take take tweesers and get some flakes and water is around in the water infront of it's claws and the flakes with get caught in it's claws then it'll eat it.If there isn't enough flow in the tank,they start sifting though the substrate with their claws.I'd say 3-4 would be interesting to watch.I doubt they would get picked on by fish as my Apistos don't touch them.

My water is acidic, guess it's around 6.5 since my tetras are doing very excellent. My Cherry Shrimps are doing very well with nice deep red stripes.. however, my Amano Shrimps ain't doing so well in the acidic waters... although they are still surviving. =)

Also, the shrimps are very good in hiding if there are sufficient plants. Mine are in a community tank with Neon Tetra, Rummy-nose Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Cherry Barbs, SAEs, Otocinclus Affinis, Bumblebee Goby, Hi-Fin Mickey Mouse Platies. Never have any fish eating shrimps issue.

Agree that pH 6.4-6.6 is fine for shrimp. FWIW, I have never seen baby shrimp in a tank with non-suckermouthed fish. I think GBRs and Amanos may work (have not had GBRs), but Cherries or any other small shrimp is a gamble. Amanos are very assertive and will fight for food.

I have about 20 Red Cherries in my 30 gallon w/ RTS, Gourami, Neons, Cordys, and Mollies They do fine..... they even breed. Most babies get eaten, but a few survive. I might lose one or 2 when they molt, and I look in there, and only see a couple, but then the next day I see like 15. They hide VERY well, and in a planted tank, not only do I believe they will strive, but they will breed!

Try them. I got mine from PsiPsi on eBay, and he is awesome. Just in case you dont have java moss.... they LOVE it (hornwort too).

Back
Top Bottom