question on test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I already have a SeaChem Marine Basic (pH, ammo, nitrite, nitrate, alk), and a Reef Status Calcium kit, and a Phosphate kit.

Since I plan to add soft corals in about a month (shrooms)...should I have a magnesium, strontium, and iodide tests? What importance is a silicate test?

malkore said:
Since I plan to add soft corals in about a month (shrooms)...should I have a magnesium, strontium, and iodide tests? What importance is a silicate test?
Personally I wouldn't worry about these kits that much just yet. Magnesium will get used up but depending on your saltmix, regular water changes should replenish it quite well. Once you move into scleractinians Mg would be a good idea. Iodine is still much debated but again IMO, I wouldn't bother with testing or adding it. The foods you feed combined with water changes will maintain it just fine. Overuse of iodine will easily spur on nuisance algaes. Also be aware most test kits do not register it in all forms so it may easily poison the tank.

Silicates are ones of those kits you may use once in a blue moon and usually only if having algae problems. Unless you do, I wouldn't bother. If anything see if your LFS can test it for you occassionally.

Cheers
Steve

thanks Steve. My LFS guy has been a salt keeper a long time. he tests calcium and the basics..and feels that some people go too 'high tech' without really needing too.

Since I only have 2x96watts over my 40gallons, the corals I'll be keeping are gonna be 'easy'...so I wonder'd how 'high tech' i needed to get.

thanks again!

2x96w is still a decent amount of light for that tank depth. I wouldn't go hog wild but you should still be able to keep a few LPS if you've a mind to. Their light requirements should allow for a decent assortment as well as softies.

Cheers
Steve

I am still new to this hobby, but when I was even "newer" I made the mistake and bought two Blue Hippo tangs, they lasted one and two days respectively....
I took them back to the LFS along with a water sample and they freaked out over my "low low magnesium level" that "killed the fish" thus no refund....
I caught up on that BS the same day.
Reading the ingredients of Bionic, it essentially has everything in it, I feel no need to dose anything else and my levels seem to be ok (other than the Iodine, see my thread on that)

SpeckledGrouper said:
I took them back to the LFS along with a water sample and they freaked out over my "low low magnesium level" that "killed the fish" thus no refund....
I caught up on that BS the same day.
I hope you mean by that you realized low Mg coulnd't be the cause of a fishs' death :?:

Cheers
Steve

Correct, steve, it sounded weird to begin with but what am I compared to a guy that has owned a LFS for many many years.... I felt in no position to cause a scene, so I accepted the loss and began researching.

That sucks, I hope you never gave them your business again.

neither LFS here has any guarantee on saltwater fish. we're so far inland that the fish go thru a lot of handling and stress before they get here. They try to hold fish a week to watch for signs of illness, but that's about it.

it makes me curious to try liveaquaria.com since they have 14 day guarantees, a larger selection, and a better prices.

Back
Top Bottom