Question on water circulation in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there a recommended circulation rate for the water in the tank (gal/per hour, perhaps)? (I don't mean through the filter and sump, I mean current movement within the tank.) Or is turbulence/randomness more/equally important?

How many power heads would be enough, and is it advisable to "lower them" at night?

OT: Right now it's snowing like crazy here in NY -we're under blizzard alert. I guess I'll have plenty of time to continue my research in prep for my first tank. :roll:

Depends on what kinds of animals you have. Some corals like low flow, medium flow or high flow. Depending on the size of your tank two or three ph at opposite ends and top/bottom. I'm not sure if there is a set amount but if you can see your livestock swaying in the current it will probably be enough. The stronger flows also keep cyano from getting a foothold on you.

The rule of thumb is to have 10x the size of the tank. For example, if you have a 40G tank, you will want 400GPH. Some prefer more. Some people use wave makers to have better control over the flow. liveaquaria.com has a wavemaker plus Maxijet powerheads for a great price. I use the same flow 24/7 and haven't had any problems. HTH

Mike

I'm not sure if there is a set amount but if you can see your livestock swaying in the current it will probably be enough.

This line nearly resulted in a heart attack when, due to my failing eyesight, I thought you had written "if you can see your liverock swaying in the current"!!!

Thanks for the info. 8)

I also have 2 mj 1200 on my 55 and also use the naturalwave timer (one ph blows for 20 secs shuts off and the other ph blows for 20 secs) works pretty well for the $$$ spent.

Back
Top Bottom