Question on yellow tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swjunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I was at the LFS I was asking about the yellow tangs. He said that you either have to have only one or three because to would fight to much. Is that true?
Melissa

well.. it's more that you can either have one, or introduce multiples all at once..
Adding more down the line will lead to aggression between the established ones and the newcomer.

As with any group that's added, I imagine there will be a short stint of pecking order establishment, but if they are healthy and properly acclimated and fed, shouldn't lead to a death.

(according to the specimen's specs that is...they all have their own personalities, can get a bully from time to time).

I also think they are aggressive to any tang, not just their own type...not sure tho, best to wait for the advice of a tang-a-holic I spose ;)

I dont believe there are any physical differences in male and female. As feron suggested if adding more than one you should add them at the same time.. As far as aggression goes most tangs are aggressive to tangs that are similar in colouration and/or shape; eg; purple and yellow same shape..

what size tank are you looking on adding these?

I know a few people who have 2-3 tangs in tanks the same size as yours, me being one of them. They can co exist but because they are large fish they limit what else you can put in there.

Why not diversify your fish; like a convict & yellow and some smaller fish?

Or are you set on 2 or 3 YT's?

No I am not set on getting more than one. I would like to have a male and female but I would also like to have other fish in the same cat. So I might just get me a couple of different tangs.
Thanx,
Melissa

Just be sure to check their 'bio' before buying..some tangs just plain hate each other..

Thanx I will. I am still building the stand and and getting the canopy. but once I get it up and started to cycle then I am planning on researching my fish. That way I will have something to do while my tank is cycling.

If you are wanting reaction between male/ female why not get a pair of clowns. I saw mine laying eggs the other day.

I guess you could say this is a habbit of mine Kind of a phobia I guess. When I buy anything I always buy it in pairs. That goes for anything in my home. I don't really want to see any reaction I just do the pair thing. I drive my husband crazy, because I never come home with just one thing always two.
silly me.
Thanx
Melissa

melosu58 said:
In the salt water bussiness that could be exspensive :wink:
I can just picture bring home two $600+ MH light fixtures with the excuse that I was afraid one would just give out. My wife would kill me if I did that 8O

But…. She does have 10+ purses some of which are well over $200 and I have yet to figure that one out :roll:

I would do 1 or 3 (if your tank will support 3) On a side note I have had 3 yellows for about 2 weeks. All appear healthy so I will have pics before much longer.

That is sooooo funny you would mention the lights. I just told my husband last night that I wanted to pick up some extra equipment (you know the excuse) "If I can find it at a great price". I was telling him that I wanted a couple extra bulbs, a back up heater, and maybe a backup skimmer. He is agreeing with me now because he does not know how much they cost. But I do know that his eyes will fall out when he finds out. That is just too funny. This is a great hobby for me to try and curb this habit because like you said it is very expensive. I think what I will do is get one yellow, one naso, and one yellow tail blue. and a pair of clowns.
Thanx
Melissa

Extra bulbs/heaters are always a good idea :D A backup skimmer might be a waste since the actual skimmer usually works flawlessly but sometimes the pumps fail. I would get a backup pump which is much cheaper IMO.

My favorite tang is the Purple Tang but unfortunately it doesn’t do well with other tangs :(

Brenden's example of the 3 tangs is clouded by the fact that he has a large tank. Putting the 3 tangs into your tank is going to severely limit your choices of additional fish (12-15" of fish taken up instantly when you only have 25-30" of fish available to you) leaving you room for maybe 1 or 2 other fish, depending on what is on your selections. Additionally, if you're going to add 3 yellow tangs they are quickly going to become the dominators of your tank. Generally speaking you want to add a Yellow tang last/near last. Make sure you have ample rock work to support hiding spaces for each. I'd personally only add one, and I'd add it last.

I have away around the fish thing too. The four fish I named earlier are the ones that I really like so far. (nothing is concret yet) I know I will only have room for about 6 fish depending on their mature size. And for now in the 125g I am more interested in the corals/reef. So in a year or so when I get my hubby good and hooked I will just do another tank.
Melissa

Regardless of your end decision 3 tangs would be a lot of bioload to add to a 125 all at once. You ideally want to build your bioload slowly.

Back
Top Bottom