question re: "converting" existing tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_brokenglass_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hellooo... i'm interested in making my 55gal a planted tank... considering i need to remove the gravel to add substrate, i'd think the best way to do that would be to empty the tank? what would be the best thing to do regarding the water, etc, that would cause the least agitation to my fish? i've looked around this forum but it seems most people are making new tanks into planted ones and adding fish after, so i'm not really sure.

on the topic of fish, how much of a problem would i be looking at making a planted considering the species i have: 1 common plec0 (i'll likely be giving him to lfs once he tops 9 inches or so, he's currently 5.5-6), 2 bala sharks (one 5-5.5, one 2.5-3 inches), 3 clown loaches (2-2.5), 1 green tiger barb, 1 pictus cat (3-3.5), 1... chinese algae eater i believe, and 1 unidentified cat (was given to me with the loaches & the barb). most of what i've read says these fish like and do well in planted tanks, i guess it's just the size that might not work so well... any thoughts would be appreciated =)

_brokenglass_ said:
hellooo... i'm interested in making my 55gal a planted tank... considering i need to remove the gravel to add substrate, i'd think the best way to do that would be to empty the tank?

I am assuming that you want some substrate other than just gravel....what type are you considering...soil, eco-complete, laterite?

on the topic of fish, how much of a problem would i be looking at making a planted considering the species i have: 1 common plec0 (i'll likely be giving him to lfs once he tops 9 inches or so, he's currently 5.5-6)

You will want to earlier than that, as common plecos tend to chew on and uproot plants.

, 2 bala sharks (one 5-5.5, one 2.5-3 inches),

You will want to consider re-homing those as well, since once they get to 6" (on their way to 14"), they will be very uncomfortable in such a small tank....nevermind them predating on your smaller fish.

3 clown loaches (2-2.5)

These will also get quite large, but it will take them quite some time, as they grow very slowly after 5".

, 1 green tiger barb, 1 pictus cat (3-3.5),

These guys will be fine, but would probably appreciate some schoolmates.

1... chinese algae eater i believe

Not the best tankmate for the rest of your fish....consider replacing with a bristlenose cat.

, and 1 unidentified cat

Got any pics?

re: substrate, i went to lfs yesterday to see what my options were, they carry (i was going mostly by the list on the sticky about substrates) both kinds of flourite, tahitian moon sand (i like look of that ^^), and then a... "red sea plant success flora base," not sure if that's any good or not. maybe there are better options for my tank, i dont know, that's why i'm posting here =)

re: the fish, looks like i've got some decisions to make ^^ my boyfriend was looking at starting a tank, maybe he'd take my pleco if he does. hm. will talk to him about that. the loaches and the tiger barb i was given, the guy said that they were pretty old and probably wouldn't last more than a year, so i shouldn't have to worry about them getting very big or anything, altho i do like the look of barbs, maybe i'll add some more anyways :D the cae, i can find a home for, and i will try to coax the catfish out of his hiding spot in the piece of driftwood long enough to snap a pic ^^ you mentioned schoolmates for both the barb and the pictus, how many fish (considering the sizes and all) would a 55gal planted tank be able to sustain?

thanks in advance =)

Back
Top Bottom