Question regarding Live rock and cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a recently setup 75 gallon saltwater tank, its been in "cycle" mode for about 4 weeks now...with a Lion and Hippo as sole inhabitants.

I have a question about live rock, since my setup is a Fish Only tank, do i still need to add any nutrients or stimulants for the live rock that is in the tank? Is there any taking care of live rock etc.'

Second question is, yesterday i opened up my filter and looked at the cartridges...placed them back in their slots and it seemed like the filter pumped out a bit of debris or something into my tank. Since then my tank has been a bit cloudier than normal. Is this something usual? Do you recommend any products to clear up the appearance of the water?

Thanks for any input

All you need to do for LR is the normal water changes.

All the stuff your filter was removing got washed back into the tank. When I used to use cartridges in my HOB I would turn it off then drain it a little and then remove the whole HOB filter to change the cartridges.

Depending on what type of filter you have most filter cartriges have carbon in them and they will clean up the water given enough time. Depend on how dirty your water is you may need to clean the filter cartrideges or buy new ones.

First off, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I have a recently setup 75 gallon saltwater tank, its been in "cycle" mode for about 4 weeks now...with a Lion and Hippo as sole inhabitants.
I do really hope your water parameters are okay for these fish. Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph, SG? Lions and tangs ae not really traditional cycling fish and could easily die from the harsh conditions produced from the cycling process.
do i still need to add any nutrients or stimulants for the live rock that is in the tank? Is there any taking care of live rock etc.'
the main bebefit of the LR is is its ability to harbor benifical bacteria to aid in biological filtration. No special care is needed. If it is the purple coraline algea you desire, then the proper levels if Calcium and Alk wil be required.
it seemed like the filter pumped out a bit of debris or something into my tank.
What type of filter do you have? This is just detritus that collects in the filter compartment. Whenever you rmove the filter pads it is good idea to shut off the filter to help prevent this. As for the water cloudiness, it couldbe from the filter or it could be from a high level of ammonia.
I sugggest getting a good book on SW aquariums. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. Let us know what your current water parameters are and we can go from there. Good luck...Lando

I go twice a week to the LFS to get my water tested, all the perimeters are perfect at this point.

The filter, im not sure on the exact name, its the one with Bio Wheels...maybe something 400.

Both fish have done excellent thus far.

Also, when i am removing and cleaning a filter element..is it best to just wash it out with tap water? Or is there some special method i should be concerned about? Just turn off the filter, remove elements..wash out...replace?

Filter has only been running for about 4 weeks, elements are not really dirty...not sure if this is even needed. Like i said, there was no water cloudiness until i looked at the cartridge with the filter still on..which pumped out that debris. Im thinking in about a day the filter will have picked it back up again.

Sounds like you have the emperor 400 filter. If that is correct, you have two biowheeles and two filter pads. The filter pads do not realy require cleaning, just replacing. I would only do one at a time. Wait a couple weeks and do the other. Have each ona four week rotation. It is good practice to buy a good test kit and test your own water. Many a LFS has been know to skew the results of water tests. "Yup, your water is just fine. Go ahead and buy this $75 fish and put it in" :wink:

Back
Top Bottom