question regarding tank overcrowding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so i have a freshwater 30g tank with some decorations and plants, tpical setup. This tank is currently home to multiple fish and invertabraes. Two lobster (crawfish) a 4inch electric blue along with an orange mexican dwarf verging on 2inches. I also have two balloon mollies and a single lonely danio 2inch (friends lost in power outage :(
I also recently added a 3icnh fish with a long scientific name starting with the word julia (all i can remember). So i was at the pet store and i saw this really cool fish called a banded leporinus. Yeah i remembered to write it down :)

So heres my question
This fish is said to need a minimum tank size of 50g where as i have 30. The one at the store was a juvenile and quite small maybe 2-3inches. So i was wondering if i could keep this fish as a juvenile and when it reaches a substantial size, when i can no longer care for it i could transfer it to a different aquarium. My older brother does have a 55g tank with nothing to aggressive. Danios,rainbow shark. Several catfish. And a docile algae eater. So could i in theory raise this fish in my 30g? And how long would i be able to have it before moving it to the larger tank?

A concern of my brothers is that the biological waste between my fish and lobsters would be to great for my tank. Is that true? Would the water be that polluted?

Any suggestions or advice is welcome and appreciated

And anyone know the full name of this "julia" fish in my possession?

Attachments

• image-1460880658.jpg
    image-1460880658.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 64
No to the banded leporinus. IMO a 4' tank is too small. Mine is pushin' 14", in my 225 gallon tank. He's gone from 6" to 14" in app. three years, and I'd estimate he's close to 3" in diameter in the middle. He's also aggressive enough to send the 13" red devil, 12" redhead cichlid and the three oscars that he shares the tank with packin' when one of 'em mistakenly decides the leporinus cares 'bout their squabbles and picks a fight with it.

The first thing ya need to do is figure out what "Julia" is. :) That may alter what else you can stock. My first thought is a Julidochromis of some sort, which is a cichlid and could pose some problems for future stocking options, and potentially problems for your CPO and mollies as it grows.

Figure that out and we can advise from there. Cheers.

WYite

Yes your correct!

I googled the name and thats my fish!
I do recall the store clerk alerting me about the issues this fish can cause and that i couldn't have certain varieties of fish such as angelfish and a few other. I was not aware it was a cichlid, does this mean he needs a specialized diet? the man at the store instructed me ti feed frozen brine shrimp 2-3 times a week along with the usual flake food (tetramin) diet. is that correct? or should i be using a special mix of cichlid flakes? Ive only had the fish for a couple days so im still a novice having never kept a cichlid. I am not looking to give up this fish because i really do like it. So i guess i will have to deal with the limitations it poses in the future.

I am very disappointed about not being able to have the leporinus.
So even the little 2.5 inch guy at the store could not a least be raised in my tank for a period of time before being moved too the 55gal? And would a 55g be adequate for a full grown species? (In this case a male)

I know im kinda pushing it and i hate to hassle you I just really liked the fish.
But i am aware of the certain limitations just waned to make sure

Back
Top Bottom