Question regarding trout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forgiven

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I did a search and could only find a topic on a huge tank. I was hoping someone could answer some questions for me.

I have a friend that caught a couple tiny trout and doesn't know what the heck she is doing lol.

Just wanted to see if I could get some tips on what she'll need to raise them if she's actually going to do this.

I think she's got them in a 10 gallon tank at the moment (the fish are like 2-3 inches long if that).

She's just feeding them normal fish food.

I told her I would try and do some research on it for her, so does anyone have any suggestions on what she needs to do with them? Food, tank etc?

I took a picture of the fish with my phone, so I apologize if it's not the best, but here it is:

img_683728_0_f700c9418316f5c23cff621702cf85ae.jpg

I would suggest that she release the trout where she found it unless she is prepared to get a VERY large tank. It is very hard to tell from that picture exactly what she has.

What is the most that she is prepared to spend? How much room does she have? Has she ever kept fish before?

actually I'll be honest I wasn't sure if I should say it was me or not, but my girlfriend and I collected them recently while we were playing in the river.

After recently giving up my hobby of riding sportbikes, I'm really looking for something new and this seemed like a really fun idea. That said I honestly doubt it's going to rival the cost of my old hobby of the last 5 years.

That said, the fish are 1-2.5 inches right now. They are in a 10 gallon tank and I'm well aware that isn't going to be enough for long -so I'm trying to do my research :)

What would be a good tank for say the next 6 months? And what pieces of equipment would we need to pick up? Lastly what should we be feeding them? They are doing fine after a couple days on regular fish food but i'm not sure if that's good for them? Lastly how much food per fish is good?

Thanks in advance guys, I really need a new hobby and I think this will be pretty fun and involved :)

Blazeherd2306 said:
Tell her to return them to where she found them. They are just too demanding.

Honestly I don't mind the effort. I'm use to having a hobby that takes up a ton of my time and work. For example I'd ride for 13+ hours a day on weekends, and anytime I laid the bike down, we were talking quite a bit of $$ to fix it up -not to mention hospital fees ;)

I think raising these together will be fun -if it takes a large tank that's fine, but again what would be good for the first 6 months at their current size? I believe they are "fingerlings" right now?

Having something like goldfish -or some other fish you find at the pet store isn't that interesting -I've always been extreme with things I'm into -so this challenge sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm not sure how fast they grow but I remember in a thread one guy that had them in an 800 gal tank with a chiller and lots of current.

That is a little demanding to me, but if you're up to it, go for it. :)

verucaproduce said:
Have you kept fish before? Is the current tank cycled?

I did a search and could only find a topic on a huge tank.

That is because you will need one. 8O

No I have not kept fish before, however I am a fast learner and that is why I am trying to research this :)

They are doing fine at the moment, but again I realize I am going to need a larger tank. The question I am asking -is what size tank will be ideal at their current size and on for the next 6 months?

I am reading the link you posted above at the moment and so far it's a very interesting read and hopefully will answer some of the questions I have as I go on :)

I commend you for "fessing" up that the fish and the idea are yours and not your female "friend". The truth is, in either case, you would still get the same responses.

If you read the link that vercuaproduce posted, you see the same responses almost to the letter. No one can stop you if you are really serious about doing this. The only thing that matters is whether it is done correctly and keeping the fish's best interest in mind.

Trout are coldwater fish as stated earlier, very coldwater, which CAN be riddled if you put forth some effort. They also (obviously) like a good current. Which would mean you would need a powerhead. If you dont know how trout live in nature you should do some research before actually trying to keep some.
Trout will hide behind rocks where the water is slow or not moving at all and wait for food to float by, then they dart out from behind their rocks or driftwood or whatever and grab it then go back, they also stay in the current some but it is essential that you have some sort of rocks to stop the current for them.
(While i'm still thinking of it, trout tend to grow slowly).
A 10 gallon is to small, sure the fingerlings would have room, but you couldnt simulate conditions in such a small tank, i would advise at LEAST a 20 gallon long, the bigger obviously, the better for the fish, but 20 gallon long minimum (They are fairly cheap for JUST the tank).
Feeding them flakes would probably be hard because of the current, but you can feed them crickets, tubifex worms, and other earth worms, just be prepared for the extra work, its not really that bad.
Keeping a regional wild caught aquarium can be hard but its also rewarding. It just presents other challenges. Considering you caught them locally if they got to big or you got tired of the hobby you can release them where you caught them, and you dont have to worry about it.
Keeping the water that cool is a problem but if your prepared to put forth the effort you can build DIY chillers, or just cough up the money and buy one. I have plans for a few DIY chillers if you want to P.M me.
Growing plants in that aquarium would open up a whole new can of worms so just take everything one step at a time.
Its hard but if your willing to learn its worth it, i've had a few regional aquariums. P.M with any questions.

I don't know the laws for your state (glad to see your state is not listed...) but someone here in Utah posted (on a local fishing forum) about putting wild caught fish in their aquarium (which is illegal in Utah). A little later a fishcop came to his house and busted him. How anonymous is your account here at aquariumadvice?

I for one, say go for it! I've always wanted a tank with native fish.

I would expect a 55 gallon tank to be OK for the next 6 months. Part of me wants to recomend that you get a very large tank (200 or more) right from the start, but another part of me would not recommend spending a lot of money on a fish or two that will most likely die before it needs a tank that big. How large of a tank will the boss (spouse, parents, landlord, checkbook etc) allow you to get?

As far as feeding them, flake food should work OK, although I would recomend getting some of the "fancier" fishfood - like bloodworms, brineshrimp etc. Variety is always a good thing. Usually the problem with feeding exotic fish is finding something that they will actually eat - some fish are very picky eaters.

Trout will prefer cooler water, so put the tank in the coolest room you can. You will also want to make sure that you have plenty of aeration, particularly when the temperature is warmer. (warmer water = less oxygen)

Good luck with this project!

Sorry, I just realized you had more questions.

Trout will only need a tank and a filter. I would highly recomend getting an airpump. It would be good to get a powerhead also (a waterpump used to increase circulation in your tank). A heater will not be needed, and lights are only cosmetic, unless your tank is in a very dark room. Lights will also heat up your tank, which is not good. A chiller might be useful if your tank temperature is too high, but chillers cost a lot, use a lot of electricty and make the room hotter.

Feed the fish as much as they will eat in 2 minutes. It is better to feed too little than too much.

No I have not kept fish before, however I am a fast learner and that is why I am trying to research this

I just wanted to say that nobody is doubting you or your effort. The thing is that you said you never kept fish and there are a lot of great options out there if you want to get into this great hobby that will make it easier. There are so many options it is unreal.

A 125 gal tank is considered big by most. It is a lot of water but not enough for these guys.

That said I honestly doubt it's going to rival the cost of my old hobby of the last 5 years.

Dont be so sure about that...

Anyway just do some research as you are doing. There are a lot of rewarding tropical fish that you would enjoy. Maybe you would like saltwater. Maybe you can think about it before you jump into keeping these guys. You can bring them back and get a real nice freshwater hobby going for not that much money. Good Luck

A buddy of mine has a single small mouth bass in a 20 gallon tank. Has 2 small whisper filters, no lights, a single air difuser, a bit of gravel and a couple big rocks. In the past 3 months it's grow from 3" to 8" and eats anything from feeder fish, to lazania.

They shouldn't be that hard to keep, just get the biggest tank you can, try to provide the most current possible (with placed to hide) and do NOT over feed them. Fish no NOT eat as much in the wild as you think they do.

Just get a test kit to keep track of the 3 most important water parameters, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. They should be at 0...If they aren't do between a 20% and 50% partial water change (PWC) and test again in around 6-12 hours.

Cycle your tank.

ALLWAYS go online and price match!!!!!! I've saved around 500 bucks in the last few months doing that.

I'd go with a canister filter, they are easier to clean, more maintanence free, and more efficient. Rena Filstar makes a good line, called the xP3.

I will tell you this...some will disagree but you might get an under gravel filter (UGF) in addition to your canisters ect. It will increase your bio-load plus you can mount some power heads on it to really increase flow and filtration. I've had EXCELLENT results with mine.

A buddy of mine has a single small mouth bass in a 20 gallon tank. Has 2 small whisper filters, no lights, a single air difuser, a bit of gravel and a couple big rocks. In the past 3 months it's grow from 3" to 8" and eats anything from feeder fish, to lazania.

Is this good?

Mike469 said:

Is this good?

Oh by no means.

However the bass is still alive and actually very active.

I wish he'd get a bigger tank for it...but he's one of those people who just doesn't care enough about it....... :(

you could consider something like a pondlike thing for it? theres 100 gallon hard plastic ponds that should work for awhile, except being pretty hard to find it.

Back
Top Bottom