Question (snails)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed that I have a snail which I'm guessing was a stowaway on a plant. I don't really mind it but if there's one is there usually more? I'm not sure what type of snail it is, are there any that can be detrimental to my tank? I really don't know too much about snails.

Its prolly a mts, I'm pretty sure they come hitched on plants. I actually got a plant (java fern) mainly because of all the snails I saw on it. They will burrow under sand or hide under deco in gravel I guess. At night time they come out and eat. There fine, and help control algea a bit. They will reproduce, until the tank can't support them, but it won't hurt your fish. There good little cleaners. If you want them gone, get some assasin snails. Like, 3 or 4. They eat other snails at about a snail a day each, and they look pretty cool.
A good trick if u dislike these snails is to dip your plants in hydrogen peroxide, and its all good, because in light, it becomes water and o2 ( I believe that what happens) people on here also reccomend it for spot cleaning algea, but it kills all the germs, and I guess snails haha before it goes into your tank. IMO, id leave them be, they do more good than harm.

Snails reproduce quickly, even if there is only one it can reproduce. If you want them gone you can bait them with lettuce. When they all go to the lettuce just pluck them out.
It's always good to disinfect plants before adding them to your tank. Here's a link to directions on several different ways to do this. I use the potassium permanganate and the snails fall right off!

http://www.aquajake.com/blog/planti...planting/disinfecting-plants-before-or-after/

If your snails get out of control you can add a Yo Yo Loach if your tank can support it. The Yo Yo will gobble them up. Just have to clean up the shells.

Not sure what type of snail it is, I know it isn't a ramshorn or a pond snail. Here is a pic, it is half brown and half white. Sorry the photos are a little blurry, still working on taking aquarium photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2129.jpg
    IMG_2129.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2133.jpg
    IMG_2133.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 105
Not sure what type of snail it is, I know it isn't a ramshorn or a pond snail. Here is a pic, it is half brown and half white. Sorry the photos are a little blurry, still working on taking aquarium photos.
just a pond snail,im guessing you have more stowaways,but as long as you dont overfed youll be fine

Thanks, I have read that they eat healthy plants and also that they don't. Do you have an opinion on this?
ive had them with plants,and never noticed the plants getting eaten

I've had them before. 1 turned into 10, 10 to 100 and so on. It got to be about 200+ in a 55gallon tank. I spent hours hand picky them out. But i'd agree with philly33, yoyo loaches will control any baby/small snails you have. and for assain snails if you get 3 or 4 won't they eat each other?

Either way i'd go ahead and start picky them out when you see them.

About how many, three? Already have 6 cories, 2 plecos and three wood shrimp as far as bottom feeders go.
not sure on zebra loaches,but it can go from a min of 3-5,i guess its time for you to use google

Back
Top Bottom