Question undergravel filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppygulp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I am changing all my tanks filters to canister filters, I was told that running my canister filter through an under gravel filter I would get better results. I am changing from gravel to sand. Can you use an under gravel filter with sand? And if yes, should I? The tanks I am changing two are holding african cichlids and one is homing fancy goldfish, all three tanks are 55 gallons.

I've never heard that before and don't see the logic in it, doing that is just using a canister filter as an expensive power head
But no you can not use gravel filters with sand

Lol! Thank you for the clarification! I kinda was thinking the same thing! But the person kept insisting yes you could use an under gravel system with sand. I kept getting images of sand blowing through my tank before jamming up all my filters, destroying them. Then having to tear down my banked multi tiered plant beds to get the useless plastic out of my tank. Lol! I managed to keep a straight face, but I was confused as to how and why she thought I should do that. Thank you for the clearer waters. Lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom