question with bettas and GhostShrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freeking903

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hellow i have a 10 gal tank with a betta and 3 ghost shrimp the betta gets along with them but i was wondering how many more ghost shrimp i could put in there. Also could i put cherry shrimp in there to? Would they be okay with the ghost shrimp? Thanks:BIG:

To start this off, I honestly don't suggest having shrimp in tanks with other fish unless the fish are small. Like fry of other fish, or some sp. of tetra and other small fish.

Since you seem like your not having any problems in there, you could add prob. add atleast 20 more shrimp if you want too. Shrimp have very very small effect on the bioload that effects your filter, also they are small. Breeders of shrimp (like myself) can keep up to 300 shrimp in a 10G tank, but this is for breeder purpose only, since you just have shrimp in there to be part of the aquarium, then I suggest 10-20 more should be alright.

I just wouldn't suggest getting any other shrimp besides ghost shrimp. They are cheap and you don't have to worry about them getting eaten and having to replace them, because any fish would be happy to get a shrimp snack, and i'm sure your betta can pick at the shrimp/eat them easily. Unless you want to pay $1.50 per rcs and have them just be expensive snacks go ahead. If you want to keep shrimp, I suggest a shrimp only tank.

I tried putting some amano shrimp in a 5 gallon tank with a betta. The betta chased them any time he saw them. They spent the whole day hiding under the drift wood to keep from getting harrased.

He didn't seem to be going after them for snacks. He would occationally swim under the driftwood himself and scatter them, so he sort of knew where they hung out. So it seemed more like a territory thing.

But as I understand it, betta temperment varies widely. So the advice that they can become snacks is totally possible. But it's also possible for them to live as tank mates. As a different example, I've got ghost shrimp housed with a goldfish... and (so far) the goldfish doesn't bother them, and they pretty freely walk around out in the open without much fear.

Back
Top Bottom