Question :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 17 gal tank currently housing 8 neon tetra and 3 glow light tetra (soon to be 7)

I'm wondering if I have room for a larger centrepiece fish?

And if so any suggestions?

There could definitely be, but I'd also like to know

What is your nitrate concentration and your filtration?

IMO if all are good, you could add a small centerpiece fish. How bout a DG? Small dwarf cichlid? Little pencilfish?

Ehh i think your just about stocked, but i think there could be room for a dwarf gourmi such as a honey that is not to agressive, or maybe a rainbow fish or killifish

Well this thread is for future reference mainly lol.

My tank has had fish in now for a while (started the "New Neons :D thread when I got em lol) and I have yet to see any nitrItes.

The ammo level is staying between the 0ppm and the 0.25ppm colours on the API Master Kit chart.

I have asked in the "Getting Started" forum and the replies I got lead me to the conclusion that the tetra aren't producing significant ammo (I also do bi weekly 30% changes, probably removing most ammo)

So far it's

0-0.25ppm ammo
0ppm trItes
0ppm trAtes

They definitely are not. Most small schooling fish don't contribute much to the bioload.

IMO it would be faster for you to just temporarily take them out, get some seeded media, dose with some pure ammo and insta-cycle your tank.

Or you could get a bigger fish, in which you could fish-in cycle.

I think the standard blue and red dwarf gourami make an excellent centerpiece fish for a small aquarium. I have heard that they can be somewhat aggressive, but all the ones that I have known personally have not been.

bruinsbro1997 said:
They definitely are not. Most small schooling fish don't contribute much to the bioload.

IMO it would be faster for you to just temporarily take them out, get some seeded media, dose with some pure ammo and insta-cycle your tank.

Or you could get a bigger fish, in which you could fish-in cycle.

Well what bigger fish would be suitable?

(running fresh tests now for update on params)

Wouldn't want to lose a nice fish you see :)

IMO I wouldn't add anything too sensitive if you plan on fish-in cycling. So no DGs, rams, dwarf cichlids. That rules out a lot of small fish, so all I could say are
-small pencilfish
-honey gourami
-betta
-possibly bolivian rams, but that sounds iffy to me

ARRGGHHH!!!

Lemme tell you a tale.

The Gf wants more involvement with the tank, I suggest she performs the tests this week.

Everyday when I get back from a friends she tells me she performed the tests.

Well turns out she hadn't!! When I asked her to do it in front of me she choked and admitted.

I just tested and found 20ppm nitrAtes!

So the most important week in the tank and she missed it lol!

Seems all my fish survived any sort of spike.

Just performed around a 50% change and will do another before bed to bring the trAtes to as close to 0 as possible.

So it seems I'm cycled.

What fish would you suggest now lol?

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!? Lying about the the tests is punishable by death! Hahaha do wter changes and get those trates down!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
ARE YOU SERIOUS?!? Lying about the the tests is punishable by death! Hahaha do wter changes and get those trates down!

I know right!!

Well I've tested after the 50%.

Gonna do another 50% now.

Will then test an post results!!

Make her do the water changes! Haha and sleep out side tonight! Jk lol. I hope those trates are gone soon!

Ok so after the first test the level was down to 10ppm.

I know this because before it was 20ppm (which looks exactly like 10ppm on the chart lol)

So with simple mathematics I halved the trAtes.

Just changed another 25% and I'm waiting for the test to reveal its secrets!

bruinsbro1997 said:
IMO I wouldn't add anything too sensitive if you plan on fish-in cycling. So no DGs, rams, dwarf cichlids. That rules out a lot of small fish, so all I could say are
-small pencilfish
-honey gourami
-betta
-possibly bolivian rams, but that sounds iffy to me

With the tank now cycled, no ammo or trItes just trAtes what would you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom