Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumn_Belle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Fin tearing and fin rot

My fish has minor fin tearing and fin rot. We have him in a quarantine tank (1/2 gallon) because his other tank (10 gallons) is very hard to do full water changes in. My parents bought Melafix to treat him but as we got home and read the dosing we realize it was too much. It says the put 1 teaspoon in for every 10 gallons. how much should I put it now?

:thanks:

I will add a picture including both tanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2272.jpg
    IMG_2272.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 69
Try to post a picture of the fish and your setup. I feel using medications sometimes is like putting a band-aid on the problem.
You might get different answers and I can't help you with the meds since I don't use them but most of the problems with fish come from poor water conditions so I would suggest increased water changes while the fish is sick.
Good luck.

we know why his fins are torn, not mostly because of fin rot, but because of a fake plant that used to be in his tank that they snagged on. thats why we chose fin repair medication.

Ok, I was going by your first post where you mentioned fin rot.
So if it's just a case of torn fin, I would not worry, it will heal on its own.
I would stay away from meds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

UPDATE:
We put him in the QT tank with a very tiny amount of melafix and cleaned the entire 10g tank and everything in it. He spent a day and a half in the QT tank before being put in the 10g tank. His fins are healing, so it was a success. We also started feeding him more and different food than before. :fish2: (y)

Using a teaspoon to drop converter (You can find anything online), your half gallon tank is 1/20th of the 10g. 1/20th of a teaspoon is .05 of a teaspoon, which in turn is 4 drops. So I would add 4 drops of Melafix to that half-gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom