Questionable advice for Platies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was reading a tropical aquarium enclyclopedia entry on the species of Platie that I have. I came across some advice that I am conflicted about.

The species in question is Xiphophorus maculatus. (Platy)

The passage reads:
"The aquarium should be well planted and if some direct sunshine encourages the growth of soft green algae, then so much the better. Do not add aquarium salt to the hard water."

Both of these things worry me a little bit. They sound like bad advice, but I don't know. Is there any reason for this particular advice for Platys?

I have a lightly planted 5 gal hex tank with three Platys. For about 3 hours each day it recieves some direct sunlight which has caused algae. I have cut down on the algae growth using algae eaters. Why would I want to keep the algae growing in the tank?

Also, I have been using aquarium salt, around 1 teaspoon per gallon. It was my understanding that aquarium salt was a all around positive thing for all freshwater fish. It improves gill function and reduces electrolite loss. Why should platys not recieve aquarium salt?

If you have thoughts on the advice, or if you have advice of your own. Please post it here. Any help is appriciated. Thanks.

Freshwater fish have evolved to live in fresh water, and don't need salt added to the water, platies included. There are some instances where it might be desireable to add salt as a medicant, but regular use is not necessary nor even desireable. Most algae eaters will not appreciate it as an example. Adding salt as habit is an old myth that is difficult to kill.
As far as the algae goes, platies may or may not eat it, but the algae does remove impurities from the water so other than the fact it is unsightly, it isn't necessary harmful, but usually beneficial.

Besides being unsightly, if the algae dies off, it can remove oxygen, and cause spikes in ammonia. This is what happens in those creeks by farms, with all the hair algae, and kills off the fish.

One thing I have found that in the spring and early summer my one planted tank does get more sun than the rest. I use the same lights fertilize the same and about the same bio load (one has a few more snails than the other) so it has to be the hour or two direct morning sun makes the difference in plant growth. Since they are both 5 gallon I dose with excel every couple of days so very little algae.

Salt was something I added to my tanks when I was a kid. Back when nothing was known about cycling and a planted tank was watersprite and hornwort. Both plants didn't mind salt BTW. Now with some of my plants I wouldn't dream of adding aquarium salt.

If I were you, I would move the betta from a bowl into the five-gallon and add a heater. Then buy a ten-gallon or larger tank for your platies, otos, and shrimp.

Better yet, get a 30 or larger, and the betta can be in there with everybody else. :)

I really think your tanks are too small for your fish to be happy or healthy right now.

Perhaps they are too small. I had to move the Betta to the bowl because it was hurting itself and the platys over territory issues.

The five-gallon already has a heater.

I may move them to a larger tank at some point. Right now I am unable to afford another tank.

Platy doesn't need algae or salt as others have mentioned already. Plants are not required either but any fishes will appreciate their presence.

It is a bit over-stocked now given your tank size, so you may need to do larger water changes. 50% weekly would be good. And unless you have 3 males or 3 females, they WILL breed and you WILL have frys... :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom