Questionable growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Going to have to get ink for my printer and print this thread for reference! I will need to sit and read and re-read this. It all confused me. I am trying to go more planted than now.

Until you pointed out what was wrong I thought the tank was beautiful! I would have thought all that normal cycle of plants. Boy have I a lot to learn!

One thing I did notice this evening.... My drop checker is usually a nice green, and I've been able to adjust my bps to just under 2 and still maintain the green color. Today when I glanced it was blue. Checked it out and I had dropped a bag of dry fert on the timer which kept it from turning, so it still thought it was 10pm ( off period ). I got it corrected, but never saw the drop checker get back to green. My guess is that because it never got a chance to build up this morning before lights on, the co2 that was getting dissolved was immediately being absorbed by the plants. I don't see the problem with that, unless I'm not injecting enough to begin with. I've been able to drop the bps from 5-6 down to under 2 now as i have changed diffusion methods and still maintain the green. Could this be the source of my problems? Should I increase it?

Remember I don't use CO2, only liquid carbon so hopefully someone else can answer this.

Today's adventure. Started off by upping my co2 bubble count from under 2 to around 2-1/2. Also with today being Sunday which is my normal pwc day I went heavy on the macros. Instead of just the 5ml I usually add right into the water column, I also added an extra 15ml directly into the substrate by various plants that looked like they needed the most help. I tested phosphates a couple hours later to make sure I wasn't crazy high, and was ready to do the WC then if they were Turns out they were the same as yesterday's single 5ml dose.... 1ppm. So I decided to put off the WC until tonight. Then tonight, as always, I checked my nitrates to see where they are ( which is how I determine how large of WC to do ), and instead of being higher than Friday nights test of 10-15ppm, which is what I expected, they were at 5ppm. Tested again, same.

Besides the heavy dose of macros and upping the co2 bps, the only other thing I changed this weekend was a full 14 hr photo period Saturday and Sunday instead of the normal 4 on - 6 off - 4 on.

I'm sure there is a lesson in here, beyond the obvious, and I'm ready to take notes <wink>

Just as a follow up, I've been dosing the water column with daily 5ml of both micros and macros. Every 2-3 days, I also do a heavy dose, 20-30ml, of macros directly into the substrate around my root feeders. My lights are still on for the split 4-5-5 photo period most days, but I do notice a nitrate drop when I leave them on for a straight 14 hours, so I've done that a couple times a week along with continuous co2 injection during that time. That also leads to pearling/micro bubble steams at night, so I figure it can't be that bad to do occasionally. I still check my nitrate and phosphate levels a few times a week to make sure they are under 20ppm and 2ppm respectively. As far as algae, my staghorn is virtually gone for the first time in months, but I do have some spot algae growing on the glass, so I do still have some tweaking ahead. Another plus, it took almost 2 weeks for my nitrates to reach over 20ppm so my PWC schedule may have dropped off.

As far as the plants go, the damaged old growth I don't expect to see improvement on, so I started trimming the worst growth off. I did notice a lot of new growth ( more/quicker than ever ) on my wisteria, dwarf sag, and crypts, so I hope that it continues to grow nicely and stay full. I also trimmed and replanted my limnophila aromatica so I hope to see an improvement in those in the coming weeks.

The fish seem unaffected as well; no losses, guppies and platies still doing their thing, and I saw my danios go at it for the first time this morning, so everyone seems happy and healthy.

Let me know if you have any major concerns on my approach, or if there is something else you think I can do better.

Thanks again for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom