Questions about a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewolff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This isn't exactly a newbie post. I am getting ready to put together my second aquarium which is 65 gallons, and I had a few questions.

Currently I have 2 clown loaches and 7 tiger barbs that will be eventually moved into the new tank after I cycle it.

1. Power filter. I am planning on getting an Emperor 400 filter as I have heard many good things about them. How noisy are they? Are there any good filters out there that have built in heaters. I heard the TetraTec ones are pretty noisy.

2. Substrate. I am really wanting to go with a sand substrate and I have been doing a lot of reading on this. I am thinking about Tahitian Moon Sand. I saw a post somewhere where a person mentioned having a heating cable under the sand helps prevent dead spots. Anybody have comments on this? Can I safely go up to 1.5 - 2 inches of sand with Tahitian Moon, or will that greatly increase the risk of dead spots?

3. Speaking of heating cable, would this be sufficient for heating the tank, or should I also get a heater?

4. Invertebrates. Any suggestions for invertebrates? I do not want anything that will get really big (10-12") and snails are out because of the loaches. I am thinking of a cobalt blue lobster. Do lobsters need to get air from the surface like crabs do? What about clams?

5. Any other suggestions for tankmates to go with my loaches and barbs? Are there any eel-like fish out there that will not grow over 18" and will not uproot all of the plants?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks.

I can only answer a few.

1 Emporer 400's a great but the can be noisey also. (depends) I have three and one is a pain. Why not go for a canister filter?

2 Sand substrate is great and usually more natural looking. Dead spots can be a problem. I've never had problems in my tanks. What I do is stir the sand gently before I do a water change. This helps with dead spots and loosens bacteria that can be siphoned out.

3 no experience

4 NO CLAMS!! At least not yet. They are filter feeders and require a well established tank. Other wise the die and you won't know until its too late. I lobster or crawfish may work. There is the chance he'll catch someone while they sleep and you'll be missing fish.

5 Tankmates. Why not go for a biotope aquarium. The two species you have are asian so why not a pair of large gouarmis.

I don't know about the Emporer, but they have a Penguin 800 [ I think thats it? It has dual bio-wheels and is on a 55gal ] at work, and it dosn't make a sound.

Honestly, I stood four inches from it today looking at the bio wheels and the only tihng I could hear was the sound of falling water.

That'd be a Penguin 330. I think that's the largest the Penguins come in. After that is the Emperor series (280 and 400).

Yes, you definately have the makings of a biotope aquarium. Kuhli loaches would be great eel-like additions. They do dig in the substrate, but mine haven't upset even my newly planted jungle val. They'd help keep the sand "churned" as well, preventing dead spots. They like planted tanks, are from SE Asia like your other fish, and seem to prefer digging under rocks and bog wood than under plants.

So if I went with a canister filter would this be a good setup: One of those hang on overflows (my tank is not drilled) which goes to a canister filter and into a 15 gallon tank which I can do my water changes from and house heating and such.

This would probably be better with sand because you do not have to worry about sand getting into the impeller. With this setup I would still have to run a vacuum over the surface of the sand, correct?

I would definitely go with a canister for that size tank, and you do still need to vacuum the surface to remove the mulm, depending upon how heavily planted it is.

I have had a blue lobster and it was basically a disaster, even with a 7-inch oscar, but others have not had problems with them.

I have no experience with substrate heaters, but as long as you don't have very deep sand and stir it up a couple of times a month you should be okay, unless you want to try the substrate heater anyway. My submersible heaters are extremely reliable and accurate. I have sand in a puffer tank so, like you, no snails stand a chance, and I just stir it up with my hand. I really like it.

I saw a post somewhere where a person mentioned having a heating cable under the sand helps prevent dead spots. Anybody have comments on this? Can I safely go up to 1.5 - 2 inches of sand with Tahitian Moon, or will that greatly increase the risk of dead spots?

3. Speaking of heating cable, would this be sufficient for heating the tank, or should I also get a heater?

As someone who spent a bunch of money on one of these, I do NOT reccomend them. Mine was fine for about 8 months, then I tried to do a major rearrange. The roots of my sword and some crypts had become entangled in the sub. cable, and it pulled up when taking plants out. I removed it at that point and my plants do exactly the same without it.

Just poke the substrate around a little when doing water changes, thet will prevent dead spots.

Crayfish, if you want plants in this tank, don't get a crayfish, they will tear up everything.

Back
Top Bottom