Questions About Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so I'm cycling my 40 gallon tank using the instructions in the "Fastless Fishless Cycle" article by 7Enigma. I found pure ammonia at Ace Hardware and have been using that; I have successfully kept my ammonia ppm/s around 4, but a couple times have goofed and they've gotten as high as 7 or 8.

Today's ammonia reading is 8. Do I need to do a PWC when it gets this high, or can I just wait it out and let the reading fall by itself? With ammonia levels this high, will the ammonia to nitrite cycle be delayed? If I don't do a PWC, I suspect that the level will just remain at 8 and will stall my cycle - is this correct?

Now my pH in my tank is very, very low - it's at a 6.0- 6.4 right now. I've posted about this, and have been told not to worry about pH during a fishless cycle. However, the article says when the pH is too low in the tank that the ammonia cannot convert to nitrite; if it too high the nitrites spike and the ammonia won't convert. So, how do I get my pH to rise, aside from a PWC (which I will do). To me, this sounds like I've had a bonafide pH crash and if I don't address it, the cycle is just going to stall. It seems like it's a big deal, although I've been told not to worry about pH during a fishless cycle. This info seems to say otherwise. Thoughts?

yes, 8ppm will stall the cycle, and im pretty sure it'll kill your bacteria too... add surface agitation and your ph should come back up, though with 8ppm ammonia, thats probably why its so low

if its at 8 i would do a 50% water change. its better to add too little then too much for the ammonia. if you add to little you can always add a bit more... adding to much can kill the bacteria and you will end up starting over.

what is your tap waters ph?

Ammonia should raise pH as it is alkaline. Sounds like a large pwc is required. Ammonia at anything above 2ppm up to 4ppm is fine for a cycle.

Last edited:
I agree on doing a large PWC. When I did my fishless cycle I put in WAY too much ammonia based on some bad information I read. I took me several large PWCs to get the ppm under control. It was such a nuisance but my cycle didn't start until I got the ammonia lower. It's amazing how little ammonia you need to get the cycle started. Good luck!!

I have been following this thread with intrest - I am having problems with my cycle also (I can't get below 2ppm ammonia). I never thought to test my pH - my tank pH is in the 8 range and my tap water is 7 range.

what is your tap waters ph?

Tap water is 7.8. I did probably a 35-40% PWC this evening and it helped. Ammonia was at 1.0; pH was back up to 7.6. Previously it had been 6.4. I added a tiny bit of ammonia to bump it up just a bit. I followed the directions and waited 30 minutes before adding Prime. We'll have to see how it goes. I know I can get this to work; I think it's just a matter of trial and error, and really paying attention to all my levels. I keep re-reading 7Enigma's article. I'm hoping to see some nitrites in the next week or so, and will be monitoring everything very closely. Some nights I'm just exhausted after work, so I haven't been doing as many PWCs as I should have - I'll just have to find the energy to take care of business. Otherwise, my tank will never cycle.

Once you get your ammonia to 4.0 or so, the cyle will start. My fishless cycle only took a few weeks once I got my ammonia to that level. Once I started getting nitrites, the cycle just zoomed by and was done in no time. From my experience, the longest part is going from ammonia to nitrites. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom