Questions about mollies and angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lev

Aquarium Advice Activist
I now have in my 350L tank 5 mollies, 9 corycats and 2 angel fish. The angels have only been there for 3 days but seem to be doing well. Tank is well cycled with so far very stable parameters for a month now (yay)

1) My first question is how best to feed: my mollies are so greedy! They guzzle up all the flake offered then scoot down to the bottom and try to gobble all the catfish pellets. The angels seem to pick any bits of flake that float down from the top, but I'm scared they aren't getting enough.

I now offer tiny pinches at a time, and eventually my mollies give up and the angels get some food - but i'm scared I'm over feeding, although no feed makes it to the bottom of the tank.

2) How to I "sex" my angels? I think they might be two girls as they don't seem to hangout much but will occasionally be seen gliding around together. I read something about their "roundness" and face shapes leading me to think they were both ladies. Both angels are still babies and their bodies are about the size of a 2 pence coin (around 2.6cm).

3) 3 of my female mollies are pregnant(which isn't helping the greediness issue!) I'm not particularly after having lots of fry surviving - but is it ok to leave the pregnant females in the tank to give birth, or will the process of their fry being eaten by the other fish cause stress?

If your angels are new to the tank, it may take them a little bit to get used to things. When I add new fish it takes a couple of days for them to coming up with the other fish to feed. If they get hungry they will get in on the action.

As for the sex of the angels. I'm not an expert on this, but I think it is a little hard to tell until they start to mature. I think I have two females in my tank, but I'm interested to see what other responses you get on this.

In regards to the fry, I wouldn't worry about taking the mollies out of the tank if you dont want to keep the babies. You may actually help solve your first question :)

Reactions: Lev
Back
Top Bottom