Questions about my 10 gal planted, CO2, kH, etc...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastguppy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been searching around the interwebs to figure our what is going on with my 10 gallon tank. Here are the details:
It's about 8 years old, been cycled the whole time.
pH is high - ranges from 7.4 to almost 8. (mostly between 7.6-7.8)
kH is around 5-ish.
Using my nerdy spreadsheet, I notice that the carbon dioxide levels are really low, mostly less than 3 (!!). I've been supplementing with a CO2 diffuser, and it does absolutely nothing to lower my pH. Is it possible that my kH is high enough that it is just buffering the heck out of the water, and absorbing all of the CO2?
How can I increase my CO2 levels? Is it even possible with this ridiculous chemistry?

I've kept zebra danios mostly in it...currently have 7 in there.
I have some Java fern, and some sort of "wort" as well. They look to be doing ok, though I've struggled with major algae problems in the past (no problems at the moment though). I am looking to move the Danios to a larger aquarium so they can spread their fins a bit more, and am just waiting for it to cycle. I'd like to focus my 10 gallon on planting and maybe a couple of guppies.

Can someone advise me with respect to my water chemistry? Thank you!

What kind of lighting do you have? The plants you have now all like low light (I assume you meant hornwort as the "wort" plant". If you have too high of lighting, it will cause problems. With the co2, you dont need to worry about it unless you are working with hard to grow plants that like alot of light. What sort of filter do you have?

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I currently have the normal fluorescent light that came with the aquarium, and a new tetra hob filter for a 10-20 gallon.
Are my water parameters as messed up as I fear?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also, I forgot to mention, I'm trying to keep algae at bay, and I noticed that there is some fuzz growing on the leaves of my plants, which is why I thought I'd up the CO2. Advice is appreciated, thank you!

How often you change water? What's your kh out of the tap? Tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How often you change water? What's your kh out of the tap? Tank?

Hi there,
I change some water out about once a week, or if I'm lazy once every 2 weeks, usually about 20-30% pwc.
The kH of the tank ranges from 4-6 (degrees), though it's hovering around 4 or 5 since I started adding CO2. (most frequently it's 5)
The kH of the water out of the tap is about 3.
The CO2 ends up being around 1-3 ppm.
Thank you!

I cannot comment on co2 but it sounds like you think your KH is high. Looks like the KH out of your tap is on the low end. Do you add something to get it up?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I am not too concerned about the KH, it's the pH that is more worrisome. I have only added CO2 via diffuser, in an attempt to address the algae issue. I haven't added any chemicals though. I guess the only reason I'm thinking about kH is that it is impacting my pH / CO2 levels.
I just can't seem to get the CO2 to dissolve into the water column.
Is it possible my plants are sucking it up as fast as I'm putting it in?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That kH is absolutely fine. Anywhere between 3-8gkh is fine for buffering. The higher the kH value the more co2 is needed to drop the pH. Your just probably not adding enough co2. Are you using pressurised or DIY?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm using little wee pressurized canisters with a diffuser. The gas just fills up the plastic container, and it slowly refills with water as the gas dissolves.

I'm using little wee pressurized canisters with a diffuser. The gas just fills up the plastic container, and it slowly refills with water as the gas dissolves.

I'm unfamiliar but my statement still stands. It's more than likely not enough co2. Are you using a drop checker as a guide for in tank co2 levels?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What you said certainly makes sense. I have not been using a drop checker, just measuring pH, kH, then calculating CO2 concentrations. Even those calculations show that my CO2 is way too low for plants to grow.
I will look into a drop checker.
I guess I should look at a better co2 infusion method.

Drop checkers although not essential are certainly useful. Low demanding plants do not need co2. They will grow better with it but certainly wont die without it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are using the fluval mini per chance? Injecting co2 without a drop checker is not going to pan out well.. these things need to be monitored very closely.

It is the fluval mini. Dangit, I'd better look for a drop checker asap. I've been monitoring pH and kH few times a day, using it to calculate CO2 concentrations. I'm aware of the risks of too much CO2 (pH crash, fish death), and so far the CO2 hasn't changed my parameters at all.
However, based on the feedback and info I'm getting here, I might just get rid of the CO2 infuser on the little tank. It isn't doing much, but it seems that my plants probably don't need it anyway.

Those things are kind of useless unless you can adjust them hourly.. liquid carbon could be your answer.

OK, that's something I'll look into! I'd better get some research done. Thank you so much for your patience and help...much appreciated!

Sounds like a good plan. I wouldn't call your pH "high" either unless you're really needing an acidic environment. It's very reasonable for most fish.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Just quickly skimming some articles indicated that some carbon supplements are good to get rid of algae. Unfortunately it may injure shrimps, so I'll need to figure out my plans for stocking the tank before I commit.

Trennamw, thanks for the feedback about pH. That's a relief! ?

Back
Top Bottom