Questions about new CA/SA tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tk82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, i have a cycled 40 breeder with an Aquaclear 70 and 50, newly stocked with a juvenile electric blue acara, firemouth and gold severum. Im not new to fishkeeping just new to cichlids perse. I was thinking maybe throwing in a juvenile green terror. Ive heard the gt is a slow grower and eventually all these fish will out grow the tank, so I do have a 75g with an fx4 in storage when that time comes. However, the question would be... is this a good idea with the gt? Or will it eventually wipe out the tank? What is the growth rate on all these guys? And what are the best foods for the little guys I currently have? Thanks in advance.

The Severum will love some zucchini and Romain lettuce or spinach. The fire mouth and EBA are more omnivorous.

The Severum will love some zucchini and Romain lettuce or spinach. The fire mouth and EBA are more omnivorous.
Do you give this to the severum raw or blanched? Can they also take algae wafers or veggie wafers? Also what would I give them as a daily feed?

The lettuce and spinach should be blanched. I slice and freeze zucchini. When it thaws it is soft enough for them to eat. The severum will be pretty happy with veges daily

Green Terrors aren't especially fast growers. I've grown out several. My largest male grew to a little over nine inches and it took him just over two years to get there. GT's aren't near as bad as their reputation and will probably get along fine with your listed group of cichlids, as long as you stock them together as juveniles. Only one GT male per tank.
Firemouths are great cichlids too. A solo FM is okay, but they actually do better in groups.
IMO with a 75 gal. Best to go for an all male tank.

Omega veggie or kelp flakes work good for my Cichlids. I only feed them these twice a week. Cichlid pellets the rest of the time or small Omega pellets if juvies with a small amount of blood worms. Firemouths are slow growers but IME they grow faster with blood worms in their diet.

Green Terrors aren't especially fast growers. I've grown out several. My largest male grew to a little over nine inches and it took him just over two years to get there. GT's aren't near as bad as their reputation and will probably get along fine with your listed group of cichlids, as long as you stock them together as juveniles. Only one GT male per tank.
Firemouths are great cichlids too. A solo FM is okay, but they actually do better in groups.
IMO with a 75 gal. Best to go for an all male tank.
Thank you. Very good to know as I dont plan on breeding any of these guys.. And yes I plan on moving them all to a 75g in about a year when they outgrow this 40b

Omega veggie or kelp flakes work good for my Cichlids. I only feed them these twice a week. Cichlid pellets the rest of the time or small Omega pellets if juvies with a small amount of blood worms. Firemouths are slow growers but IME they grow faster with blood worms in their diet.
Yes, currently i have leftover freshwater flakes from my last batch of fish I've gotten rid of..this should be ok? Also I have omega one tubifex worms as their daily as well as shrimp wafers. and algae wafers for them as well especially for the severum

Yes, currently i have leftover freshwater flakes from my last batch of fish I've gotten rid of..this should be ok? Also I have omega one tubifex worms as their daily as well as shrimp wafers. and algae wafers for them as well especially for the severum
The bloodworms you give to the firemouth... Are these live or freeze dried?

They are frozen. San Francisco Bay Brand. Hikari and Omega also make frozen foods.

Back
Top Bottom