Questions about new tank, 20g long or 30g, also how to mix seachem substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parrisgg

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well guys, it is that time. I am on the verge of buying a new aquarium. However, I am at a standstill. I can either buy a 30g for $60 or a 20g long for 20$, I am not really sure the pro's and con's that are related with the different types of tanks. Secondly, I will not make the same mistake with my second tank like I did in the first one. That problem is that I did not properly substrate my tank to be a planted tank, I just bought some black sand from petco, washed it and threw it in there. Now I am more knowledgeable and I cannot decide if I should just buy straight seachem black sand or mix the seachem black sand with some normal black sand you can buy at a LFS. Or should I just buy normal black sand and seed it with fert tabs? Thoughts? Concerns? Thanks for your help.

For aquariums, it's the bigger the better. Getting the 30gal will give you much more stocking and decorating options, but if money is an issue just go with the 20g long.

As for substrate, you can just get black sand and use root tabs. If you want a nutrient-rich substrate Eco Complete works well, but it will break down eventually. Sand is probably your best bet.

I caved in and bought a 40g breeder for 30 dollars. I will need a lot more sand than my 10g, but it was cheaper to just buy a 40 and have it only be 10 more than the 20g. I really like how I have much more room to work with now, next thing on my list is a pleco but not sure which I should get.

image-1149622121.jpg

Bettafanatic said:
You could go with a bristlenose Pleco. I'm not sure if a common would fit.

Definitely NO common. Commons get 24"

Back
Top Bottom