questions about onion plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imissmytruck

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got an onion plant from my LFS. I guess they are hard to find here in WA. I was quite shocked that it looks JUST like an onion!

Anyway...I brought it home Tuesday and stuck it in my shrimp tank. It was beautiful white. Well here it is Thursday and the onion has turned yellow. I placed it with more than half the bulb above the substrate...fluval shrimp something or other....soft black pellets...hard to plant in...made for shrimp....don't like it....
The bulb had two long white roots growing out the bottom and they are still there and white.

What could be wrong?
What could turn it yellow/brown other than death?
How should it be planted when planted properly?
How does it propagate?
Light requirements? I understand moderate to strong light. I am using a finnex planted plus. My Apon. Octopus loves that light...I have too much!

yes yes...parameters...
Ammonia 0
PH 7.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 60
Its a ten gallon.

Your Onion Plant

Hello i...

This plant does best in bright light and likes added nutrients like Seachem's Comprehensive liquid or some similar fertilizer. Don't try to grow this one in low or even moderate light, it won't grow long term. A neutral or even a little acidic pH is ideal, but changing the tank water regularly to maintain good mineral levels is likely enough, so you don't have to mess with the water chemistry.

Good luck. I tried to grow this one in lower light and it didn't last long.

B

Back
Top Bottom