Questions about planned semi-planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corydoras4Ever

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning to have a 20G tank with a couple of plants. Not too many, but not a few either. I'd like to have up to 8 reasonable-sized live plants.

I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with:

1. Is it ok to use reptile sand and a fertilizer (seachem) or should I really get specialty gravel or use garden peat?

2. How thick should the layer of sand be? I read that it can be up to 3-4 inches, but isn't that a lot? Isn't 1 inch of sand enough?

3. Can I do without a CO2 dispenser?

Thanks!

Take a minute and read the sticky post in this forum. Then take a couple more minutes and read the FAQ in my sig.

When you say 8 reasonable-sized plants what do you really mean? Eight small swords? Eight crypts? Eight stems of hygro?

Most reptile sand I see on the market now is either totally calcium carbonate based or contains a lot of calcium carbonate which is going to foul up your water chemistry unless you already have very hard water. Also IMHO sand is not the best choice for a planted tank substrate as it tends to compact, is hard to keep clean, and every little thing that hits the surface of the sand stays right there. IMHO you are much better off getting a bag or two of either Flourite or Eco-Complete. You don't want to use straight garden peat as a substrate unless you are trying to breed certain fish. Again it will cause you lots of water chemistry problems. A thin layer of peat under a substrate is a good idea though.

With a normal substrate you want a minimum of two inches of substrate and up to four depend on what type of plants you are going to be using. I would never put 3-4 inches of fine sand in a planted tank because it would end up going anaerobic very quickly.

The need for CO2 will depend on the lighting level and how what plants you are going to grow.

Now I have questions for you.

1. Are you using a 20H or a 20L?

2. How much and what type of lighting?

Thanks for your reply.

The size of the plants will not be bigger than most swords.

About your questions. I didn't understand your first question, unless you meant 20G or 20L? I am using a 20 Gallon tank.

I am planning to use fluorescent lighting. Right now I have 15 Watts for 20G. I don't want to have a fully planted tank, so I don't think I need to aim for 2 Watts for each gallon. I might try to buy a 20-25 Watts lighting though.

there are 2 types of 20 gallon tanks: a 20 Long, and a 20 High. I cannot remember the measurements of either right now, but a 20 H is higher than it is long, and a 20 L is longer than it is high.

Well most sword plants will over time completely fill a 20 Long tank. So again, what type of plants. And you will still pretty much need to be in the 2 wpg range to get anything to grow. There are some plants that will tolerate lower light levels. Java Fern, Java Moss, some Crypts, but if you really want them to grow you pretty much have to be in the 2 wpg range. And with the 20 Long lighting can be a bit problematic due to the short height of the tank and width of the tank.

Plants

I bought a Pennywort (I will keep it trimmed of course) . I still had some Amazon Swords from another tank. Then I got an unidentified reddish plant. I bought a package of seeds and that seemed to do well in my other tanks. I moved these plants over to my new one.

Re: Thanks

Corydoras4Ever said:
Ah, thank you for explaining.

My tank must be a 20Gallon Long. It is longer than it is high.

I still don't think you understand. All 20g tanks are longer than they are tall. A 20H is 24" long, 12" wide, and 20" deep. A 20L is 30" long, 12" wide, and 16" deep.

The depth makes a difference in terms of lighting, and whether the plants are going to grow up and out of the tank...which a sword plant would (unless its a compacta sword)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom