Questions about Plants I have added

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I have 2 tanks 1st my special is a 29 gal with 3 angels, 3 platy, and cory cats. I have a piece of drift wood, a couple of larger rocks from nature, and i have a couple of fake tree type hiding spots, substrate is sand, lots of sand. My question on this tank is how to get my plants that i have to grow and thrive? they have all stayed the same size since i have had them. Plants are (i will mess up spelling) water sprite, banana plant, bamboo, dwarf clover(which is diminishing, the tall grass, anacharis, java moss, and 3 different sword plants, cabana plant, and one other i cant recall the name. i was using c02 fertilizer (i think thats the name), still saw no difference. why are my plants not growing? some of them i thought i would have a problem with them getting out of control but they are just small and there... my other is a 20 gal long, and i have the cabana plant, watersprite (which died), dwarf clover(small), the grass (which is now turning yellow), and anacharis (same size as it was when i put it in 2 months ago.. this is gravel and marble substrate with some sand in the front, plants are held down with the gravel. question: why are they dying, if i am only supposed to have 1/2" of gravel how can i keep these plants down, or prevent them from uprooting everytime i siphon?
so all questions are:
1- how do i keep the plants rooted
2- do i need some kind of fertilizer
3 - why are they not growing
4- why are some dying
5- the tank i use sand in, i push the roots all the way to the bottom of tank about 2 1/2" they stay down pretty good, i do see some roots w/ the grass. on the few occasions that i turn the sand how do i keep the plants to stay put?
6 - the tank with gravel, every time i turn the gravel or siphon the plants come up too, how do i keep them down and in place? why are they not growing.
picture is the 29 gal i dont have one of the 20

Attachments

• 29 gal set up.jpg
    29 gal set up.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 59
You don't need to gravel vac planted tanks. That will solve most of your questions.

The not growing part is more than likely associated with lighting. What is your lighting? Type? Wattage? Hours per day?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You don't need to gravel vac planted tanks. That will solve most of your questions.

The not growing part is more than likely associated with lighting. What is your lighting? Type? Wattage? Hours per day?

the 29 gal is well lit with about 7, 1" led lights - they are on about 12 hours a day
the 20 gal tank has low lighting, from a lamp that has 75 watt led and that one has been on less hours recently due to an issue with the fish. but normally that one is lit about 8-10 hours a day
i hope this helps, i know it is vague but i am not positive so i give the best and closest info i have..

the 29 gal is well lit with about 7, 1" led lights - they are on about 12 hours a day

the 20 gal tank has low lighting, from a lamp that has 75 watt led and that one has been on less hours recently due to an issue with the fish. but normally that one is lit about 8-10 hours a day

i hope this helps, i know it is vague but i am not positive so i give the best and closest info i have..

I appreciate you may not know it's ok.

Well 12 hours doesn't mean it's good light. Again just because it's 7 led's also doesn't mean it's good.

Is there a make/model on these lights?

Any additional info? PAR ratings? Kelvin rating??

I appreciate you may not know it's ok.

Well 12 hours doesn't mean it's good light. Again just because it's 7 led's also doesn't mean it's good.

Is there a make/model on these lights?

Any additional info? PAR ratings? Kelvin rating??

Im sorry, I've wasted your time. I looked through the booklet that came with the set up and it doesn't tell me anything except a product replacement number. Humm let me see if Google takes me there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe post a picture? Other members may have the same fixture. Where did you buy it from?

I got it from pet smart, it's the 29 gal kit. I had a filter made though so the original is in my 20 gal. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412118693.372982.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412118741.478309.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412118778.736553.jpg
Hope these help

Im going to get a guy called Brookster involved in the thread. He knows much more about what the american stores carry. Im from the UK and am unfamiliar

Yes it did. It was a starter kit with all included, hood with lights, filter, heater, thermometer, net, etc. I had a 20 no hood and had to buy all supplies. It was cheaper to buy the kit, knowing I had a custom filter on the way.

Ok, main issue right off the bat, most of those plants are not fully aquatic and the banana plants are notoriously difficult, is that a marineland single bright?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes it is marineland. Ya the banana plant is awaful, love the store who said they are easy

Yes it is marineland. Ya the banana plant is awaful, love the store who said they are easy

Stores will tell you everything you want to hear so that you buy it. Unfortunately

Good pick up brookster, missed that

What is not fully aquatic? Bamboo? Should I take them out?

Petsmart is good like that;) that light is really only good for low.light plants, are you using root tabs? Liquid ferts or carbon like api co2 booster or escel?

This I've learned the very hard way. Now I google anything I want to get, since I can't trust any of the stores here

Petsmart is good like that;) that light is really only good for low.light plants, are you using root tabs? Liquid ferts or carbon like api co2 booster or escel?

For real? You do or don't like pet smart? No I don't or haven't used root tabs. I did use c02 plant booster daily as bottle said and noticed no difference after using the entire bottle

For real? You do or don't like pet smart? No I don't or haven't used root tabs. I did use c02 plant booster daily as bottle said and noticed no difference after using the entire bottle

I think he was being sarcastic lol.

Well without adequate lighting the co2 booster really wouldnt help much. Light is usually the most important factor.

Think of it as a triangle. A photosynthesis triangle if you like.

Light on top with a higher importance
Co2 bottom right
Ferts bottom left

You wont get good growth without the correct balance between all three

They have decent stuff there, employees arnt very helpful ime. Ok, anything that is planted in the sand needs lots of root tabs, every 3 square inches. You'll need to dose seachem flourish and lm api leaf zone for micro and macro ferts for now.. if you chose to up the lighting and what not than we'll go further.

Back
Top Bottom