Questions about pressurized co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friendly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I’m going to be switching to pressurized co2 and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I plan on getting (or making) an external reactor. Is the reactor going to completely fill up with water or does it have to be half filled or something? Does water flowing through the reactor have to be at a certain speed? Could I put the reactor inline with my U.V sterilizer (I’m hoping that I can because then I wont have to buy another water pump)?

Should I go with a 5lb or 10lb bottle (I have a 75g tank)? Also, do I have to have a solenoid valve and/or a ph controller?

Do I check my KH, GH, and Ph levels when testing for co2 levels? Are co2 test kits any good? Will too much co2 be harmful to fish and should I turn off the co2 system at night?

I’m sorry about all the questions, I just really don’t want to mess this up and end up doing more harm then good to my plants and fish.

Hi....

Yes, the reactor will be filled with water. You can even inject into the output of your filter if using a cannister, or if using a powerhead and UV sterilizer, you can inject into the intake of the powerhead or filter as well. My first injection setup was into the venturi on the output of the cannister, but then decided to use the glass diffuser directly under the intake of the filter. Now I'm using an intank reactor. Doesn't look the best, but works great.

I currently have a 75G as well, and only have a 5lb tank. At first, I used the solenoid plugged into a timer with my lights, so it was on during the day and off at night. Now I'm using a controller, running it 24/7. The tank has been in use just over a month now, and the needle hasn't moved very much. So I'm guessing I may get from 4-6 months out of the tank, or a little more.

As for tests, I test ph, kh, nitrate, phosphate. Occasionally I'll check ammonia and nitrite, just to make sure all's 0ppm.

As for CO2 levels, I now have my controller set at ph of 6.4, which means it fluctuates between 6.4 and 6.6, which is a CO2 level of 34-54ppm. I lowered it a touch after cleaning my probe and re-calibrating.

Hope this helps....

I have a 10lb bottle on my 75Gal. Figured it was only 50% more to get it filled and it lasts 100% longer, more cost efficient in the long run.

I ordered This from here and it came in great time and all working (and the price is good).. having a controller IMO is a lot less worrying.

I also have an inline reactor. I used a Phosban reactor for it and have had great results. (Details Here tho you don't need all the fancy plumbing, just have to get the Co2 into the reactor (you can tap a hole into the reactor and add a brass 1/8" nipple from home depot for 5$ or less.)

I have a KH between 4 and 5 and I keep the PH down to 6.5 (rises to 6.7 then the Co2 turns on and pushes it back down) which makes my average Co2 level around 42ppm ish and have seen no ill effects for the fish at all (but plant growth is great)

You could also build your own Inline CO2 Reactor if you don't mind working with PVC and want to save a little cash. I built a couple of scaled down reactors like this for my Nanos and they work great. I'd never worked with PVC before, but it turned out to be pretty easy.

just to clear up a few things
GH isn't any way related to testing CO2 levels, just pH and KH.

I agree, go with a 10lb cylinder...it should easily last you a year before refilling, and around here, a 10lb fill is only $1.50 more than a 5lb fill.

A solenoid is nice to have, as you can use a cheap lamp timer to turn off CO2 at night. If you needed more control, you could invest in a pH controller, which will turn CO2 on and off all day long in order to maintain a specific pH level, which in turn equates to a specific CO2 level.

Wow, thanks for all the great replies!

Yeah I definitely see how a solenoid valve and a ph controller would keep those ph swings in check. A lot better then having to turn the co2 off and on manually to maintain a constant ph.

Ozz, does the Mil. SMS122 ph controller also come with the regulator? If so, that is a really good price for both! How much did you end up paying (Canadian) in total?

Purrbox, thanks for the link to that site! That reactor does seem very easy to make and I’ll definitely try to make one. It also looks good too. The only reactors that I’ve seen go for $100! This will sure save me some money :D .

Once again thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

Yes, that is the regulator, Controller, Solenoid and bubble counter, 1 sachet of calibration fluid and I used white vinegar to adjust the slope (white vinegar being PH 2.8) and it came with 8 feet of tubing (It comes with 4' now if you ask at the checkout).

I had a friend relay it up from Baltimore, but it should cost 25$ in shipping (USD) and another $15CAD at the border so the total price is about 240$CAD (Just a guesstimate, the dollar flucuates a bit as of late, mostly in our favour). I couldn't find one in Canada for a comprable price. Big als setup they want like 1200$ for.. (5lb tank, reg controller and reactor) This way it cost me about 350-400$ for everything (including a 10lb tank)

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
Yes, that is the regulator, Controller, Solenoid and bubble counter, 1 sachet of calibration fluid and I used white vinegar to adjust the slope (white vinegar being PH 2.8) and it came with 8 feet of tubing (It comes with 4' now if you ask at the checkout).

I had a friend relay it up from Baltimore, but it should cost 25$ in shipping (USD) and another $15CAD at the border so the total price is about 240$CAD (Just a guesstimate, the dollar flucuates a bit as of late, mostly in our favour). I couldn't find one in Canada for a comprable price. Big als setup they want like 1200$ for.. (5lb tank, reg controller and reactor) This way it cost me about 350-400$ for everything (including a 10lb tank)

Great! I think I'm going to purchase it. I highly doubt I'm going to find a better deal then that.

Thanks (again lol) ozz!

Back
Top Bottom