Questions about SCWD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does it matter where I put a SCWD? I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm worried that one day the hose clamps may come loose and have the return pump shoot water everwhere. Could I put the SCWD in the sump, lets say a 6" piece of tubing between pump and SCWD, and then have the two return tubes be longer, about 2-3 feet? This way, if it ever comes loose or leaks a little, it will just leak back into the sump. Is this a good idea? Anyone see problems with this?

I was thinking that the majority of the head should be before it hits the SCWD and not after. By doing what I first described ( majority of the head after the SCWD) will I lose a lot of pressure and flow?

Oh yeah, and what does a "closed loop" mean? intake --> pump---> outake without any breaks in pressure?

Thanks for any input/experience/help!

I think you could put right above the sump with no problems. I'm not sure about the head pressure. Darin @ captivereefs.com can help, shoot him an email. sales@ the same addy as above. (let's see the email trolls figure that out).

I actually have my SCWD about 2 ft from my return pump, works fine. If the hose clamps come looses from anything, you would have water everywhere. At least with the SCWD, the water would be evenly distributed around the room. :wink:
Don't worry, you will be fine.

Hahahaha quarryshark! That's an optimistic way of looking at a flood!! Thanks for the encouraging words!

And thanks for the tip 2cents.

Remember to keep your hoses as short as possible, I found out that the more hose the less water flow, I cut almost 2 extra feet out of mine yesterday, now it pumps like I thought it should. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom