Questions about Serbae Tetras!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dgameman1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I currently have a 20 gallon tank long that is filled with...

• 1 Dalmatian Molly
  • 1 Serbae Tetra
  • 5 Neon Tetras
  • 3 Sterbai Cory

Now, my question is, are Serpae Tetras schooling fish as well? And how many of them do I need?
I've also read somewhere that Serpae Tetra's fin nip Dalmatian Mollys, is this true?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Yes. Serpae's are schooling fish, you need atleast 5. More is better with serpae's because they are similar to tiger barbs as in they can be pretty nippy and aggressive. The more you have the more the aggression stays within the serpae school.

You should really have at least 6 corys. They like to be in large groups. I would remove the lone Serpae and not consider getting any more. They are too risky IMO because they can be nippy. Replace the school of serpaes with something like lemon tetras. Or just increase the number of neons.

I concur, Serpaes are neat looking but a real pain unless they are in a large tank with other semi-aggressive fish. Like Tiger Barbs the big box stored mark them a community tank fish and they clearly are not. I'd ditch the Serpae and go with some other type of tetra. My suggestion is either a group of 5-6 Penguin Tetras or the same number of Cherry Barbs half normal and half albino.

I only have my experience to go by, but I have a school of 7 Serpae Tetras in a 20 Long with a Lyretail Molly and they don't bother her. I will say that she ( the Molly) is fairly shy/withdrawn, but I've never seen them harass her or seen any damage on her that suggests she's getting nipped at.

On a side note: my big box LFSs have the Tiger Barbs in the "semi-aggressive" section. :)
Now if I could just convince them to put the Red Tail Sharks over there as well...

I agree with coyne, that all of the tiger barb labels I have seen say semi agressive.

Also, as far as I know, all tetras are at least mainly gregarious (shoaling, at minimum). What I mean by that is that they like each other's company, but don't just swim only next to each other like some think the word "schooling" suggests.
But some are certainly more gregarious than others.

I have six Serpaes and they don't bother any of my other fish. They love to bluff/flair at each other which is fun to watch and once thriving, their red gets stunning. One of my favorite fish. OS.

I have the following stock

1-dwarf gourami
7- white clouds
6- serpae tetra
2-bolivian ram
4-panda cory(2 more on order)
2- peacock gudgeon

The serpae do not bother any other fish. I think the dwarf gourami keeps them in line. He doesn't take any crap from them.

Back
Top Bottom