Questions about starting up our 520 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatZelda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on starting up our 520 gallon tank. I have two questions:

1) Is there any good place I can get bulk substrate? I would like to do a planted tank and given the size of the tank, I felt it would be easiest (and cheaper) to fill it this way.

2) Does anyone have any recommendations for temperate fish/plants? We've had it filled once before and apparently the temperature was a pretty stable 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

That's a big tank. I know if you need rock you can go to a landscaping company/store. I'm not sure if you could use any substrate they may have but its worth a look.

As for stocking, goldfish would get to grow out to their full size in that sized tank. Odessa and rosey barbs like cooler temperatures and get between 4-6ish inches. Minnows would get lost unless you have a huge school. If it's not illegal in your area (and if you can find them) you could go with the bluegill fish 7-16".
Freshwater eels could probably fit in there as well.
It just depends on what you are looking for.

Fish ideas:
Discus, clown loaches, Denison barbs bichirs all look great together.
An African cichlids tank would look insane at that magnitude.
Predator tank if that’s your style with some fish said above or South American cichlids and clown loaches.

Why not heat it and put some big tropical fish in it?

If you wanted to leave it coldwater the first idea that pops in my mind in a tank that size is largemouth and smallmouth bass.

Back
Top Bottom