Questions about upgrading tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay. I have a 55gl and want to upgrade to a larger tank. The only fish in there I am worried about are the two four-line pictus cats. They grow larger compared to spotted pictus and that is obvious. They are turning into two massive pork chops!!! The other I worry about is my common pleco.

My two spotted pictus are still small and not growing very fast. My four-lines are, let's just say omg in growth rate. LOL I know they can get to about 8" or so.

My 55gl is 13 inches wide so I want to get the cats out of that tank.

My pleco is still only about 2 inches. I plan to return him to the LFS once he gets larger and get a smaller one. I want to keep him as long as I can though but once he is to big for us I figure the LFS is a good place for him. They collect large plecos and have them in a HUGE tank, they are so pretty. They sell them for a good price so if someone wants them more then likely they plan to care for them the right way!

I was thinking of 125gl tank. Use it as a room divider. For about $1000 I could get the tank, stand, lights, hood and the filters. The tank set up with out the filters would be about $800 to give you an idea.

Yesterday I was looking at a 75gl I could get the stand, tank, lights, hood for $500. I know I can get a better price on a filter doing petsmart online vs store or petco etc. I could have a full set up 75gl, with all deco and done for the $1000 just for the basics on the 125gl.

The 75gl is pretty wide. That is what I need most is more width for the length of the fish.

My LFS is higher priced. Petco is close but not as bad in prices. I was going to stop and look at Petsmart (just opened here a few weeks ago) and check their tanks to find the best deal.

Now I am debating 125gl vs 75gl. Would 75gl be enough you think? I am undecided.

I would put the 4 pictus cats (2 spotted, 2 four-line) in the new tank and the pleco eventually so he has more room as well. I would prolly do the same thing I have done in my 55gl and fill it with tetra so there is another fish in there. I could just move what is in my 55gl to the new tank and use the 55gl for something different. Try some barbs or something....

I have 8 serpae, 8 white skirts, 3 bleeding heart, 4 glass tetras, 1 apple snail, 4 pictus and the pleco in the 55gl tank. I do 50% PWC once a week and gravel vac and we are doing great. I use to gravel vac every two weeks but plecos are pooping machines and my four-lines getting bigger have become messy as well!

I could just do the cats in the new larger tank and just leave it as is? I dunno.

I planned all along once I did the four-lines to get a larger tank because I knew they would need it and well I am down to that time before they get over 6" is what I feel is right.

The other issue I face is this...

I want to put the new tank in my bedroom. I like some noise when I sleep and the soothing noise of the tank would be great.

What I worry about is my bedroom is an addition and the temp really changes in there. It can get pretty warm and pretty cool. If I leave my bedroom door open instead of closing it all the time it will really help cut down on the huge change in temp. However in the summer it gets warmer in there high 80s I would say if I dont have the A/C on while the rest of my place is not bad. I will open a window in my bedroom and cool it off when I sleep.

Do you think a 75gl or 125gl would be okay in that?

If not I may just put it as a room divider out here in my living room and kitchen where it is more stable.

If it were me I would go for the 125 not just because of the room but because bigger is better! LOL, that too but in a practical sense, a 125 is more stable, temperatures included. A 125 is less likely to suffer from temps swings than a 75 and gives your fish more room obviously. Also increases the stocking choices you have. Is there a basement under your bedroom?

Nope there is no basement and nothing to worry about as far as floor support. I am in a apartment that allows us to have fish tanks. A coworker also my nextdoor neighbor has several tanks LOL He does saltwater.

I plan to buy a home in a few years and while house shopping I will have to make sure I have a good place for my two large tanks. :D

The LFS laughs at me. I came in with questions on a 10gl and within months I have a 10gl, 55gl and planning a 75-125gl! The guy laughed and asked if I was done yet. I told him after this next large one I should be I am running out of room!

The funny part is. The 50% PWC I do, the gravel vac. and all the care I put into them does takes some time. I do it every Friday or so and it has become "my time" and I enjoy doing it. The buckets sucked but I still didnt mind doing it. Now with a python I breeze right through it, but I dont see me slowing down on care because I actually enjoy doing it.

Back
Top Bottom