Questions and lost another fish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt_7689

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm sad to tell you all that I lost another fish. It was my last fancy guppy. It wasn't doing so well last night and was swimming vertically and kind of floating to the bottom. I woke up this morning and found it motionless underneath a plant. I moved it a little and it was dead. :nono: Now I'm left with two fish, my Platy and my Neon Tetra :ermm:. It's a sad tank now!

I have a couple of questions. My first question is, what is a total wipe out? And what actions need to be taken if a total wipe out happens?

:thanks: for all of your help! :D

Well first of all, how big is the tank, how long has it been set up, and is it cycled?

Well I know that the fish that have died are because I didn't cycle the tank and they went into shock. (I found out about cycling after I put them in and two of them died.) It is a 10 gal. tank and I've had it setup for 3 days.

I am sorry about your fish. It can be tough when they die. :(
In case you haven't read them before, here are a couple of guides to help you figure out what to do next to make sure the remaining fish do ok.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
I am not sure if this is what you mean by "total wipeout," but people sometimes use that phrase when they lose all the fish in their tank in a very short amount of time. No matter if its one fish or multiple fish, you still need to go through the same basic diagnostic steps to figure out what happened and then remedy the situation accordingly. Since you know what happened, you are well on your way to fixing the situation. :)

man that sucks:( since your now doing a fish in cycle,be prepared for a LOT of water changes

Thanks guys. I'm probably going to the pet store today so that I can get a test kit and a vacuum.

Back
Top Bottom