Questions for new 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katgrl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI Everyone:) I recently bought a 29 gallon tank and already bought the fluval 206 canister filter, a hood with light and a metal stand. I'm really excited about setting up my first community tank. I've kept fish before but it's never been in a community tank, usually just individual betta fish and goldfish. I've been reading a lot online about how to set up a tank and fish compatibility. I had a few questions and was hoping for some guidance.

Which starter kit is better for establishing the nitrogen cycle (API quick start or Tetra Safe Start) Also would it be advisable to introduce gravel or water from another established goldfish tank into the new tank to introduce beneficial bacteria?

Is this a good list of fish to keep in a 29 gallon tank: bristlenose plecos, corydoras, redtail shark, a snail or two and a school of guppies or mollys? I'm thinking of a warm water tank. I kind of want a crab as well but fear it will attack my other fish. (Also, I currently have 1 betta male in his own tank, wondering if he could go in the tank or if I should just keep him separate)

What kind of gravel should I get? I was wondering if I should get sand for the corydoras and plecos but have read that they can cut themselves on it and I'm worried it might be harder to clean. Thinking of rounded gravel perhaps.

Is any heater good or do you suggest a certain one?

Thank you so much for any advise. I can't wait to get my tank set up!! :)

I'll tackle one question. Don't buy potions to kick off your cycle. Take filter media from the established tank to begin the cycle in the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

:thanks: I have a hob filter in my 5 gallon 1 goldfish tank that has been running for about 3 months now. The new tank has a canister fluvial filter. How can I transfer filter media between the two?

:thanks: I have a hob filter in my 5 gallon 1 goldfish tank that has been running for about 3 months now. The new tank has a canister fluvial filter. How can I transfer filter media between the two?

Take maybe a 1/3 of whatever you have in your HOB and put it in the canister split between to trays to seed the new media.

Do not rinse it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

HI Everyone:) I recently bought a 29 gallon tank and already bought the fluval 206 canister filter, a hood with light and a metal stand. I'm really excited about setting up my first community tank. I've kept fish before but it's never been in a community tank, usually just individual betta fish and goldfish. I've been reading a lot online about how to set up a tank and fish compatibility. I had a few questions and was hoping for some guidance.

Which starter kit is better for establishing the nitrogen cycle (API quick start or Tetra Safe Start) Also would it be advisable to introduce gravel or water from another established goldfish tank into the new tank to introduce beneficial bacteria?

Is this a good list of fish to keep in a 29 gallon tank: bristlenose plecos, corydoras, redtail shark, a snail or two and a school of guppies or mollys? I'm thinking of a warm water tank. I kind of want a crab as well but fear it will attack my other fish. (Also, I currently have 1 betta male in his own tank, wondering if he could go in the tank or if I should just keep him separate)

What kind of gravel should I get? I was wondering if I should get sand for the corydoras and plecos but have read that they can cut themselves on it and I'm worried it might be harder to clean. Thinking of rounded gravel perhaps.

Is any heater good or do you suggest a certain one?

Thank you so much for any advise. I can't wait to get my tank set up!! :)

Definitely no starter kit. Use media from the other tank as TMaier suggested.

Ensure cycling is complete and add fish in small batches weekly with monitoring.

1 BN pleco may be ok, but they produce a lot of waste and reduce your stock numbers due to the bio-load..
Snails are ok.
No red tail shark.
Corys, guppies and mollies are all fine.
Crabs are semi-aquatic and are not be suitable for a community tank.
Betta will do ok with other fish as long as there are no other bettas in the tank.

Use AQAdvisor to sense check your final numbers.

Small rounded gravel is low maintenance and will work with the Corys too.

I've had good luck with the eheim heaters. Just find the appropriate one that fits your tank.

Back
Top Bottom