Questions from a newbie...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZomB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all..

Ive got a few questions with regards to my new tank. Been trying to do my research but there's a heck of a lot of info out there!

1st question is gravel/substrate related. Ive got some pea gravel which my LFS said i would be able to grow plants in. Do i need to get any additional substrate to suppliment this? Also can anyone recommend some very low maintenance plants for beginners? I want to try & keep my tank fairly low maintenance if i can!

Im also unsure about the whole cycle process. Im not in any sort of rush to get this ready for fish so i dont mind biding my time...the fish shop is only accross the road from me! Currently i've not got a light yet so i dont want to actually add any plants (probably for another 2 weeks). Basically what is the best way for me to do a fishless cycle?!? Should i wait to get my plants & light or is that not necessary? On a side note i got my filter 2nd hand & this was used in a marine set up. Will this help me add the bacteria i need?

Im making progress. Ive now got my tank filled with treated water, gravel & rocks. Ive got a heater that is off, an air pump & a leaking external filter! Once i get the filter fixed i'm looking to start the cycle & get the water ready...

Thanks in advance for any help & advice!

Thanks eco23 (and eveyone else)...your guide looks brilliant. Had a quick read of it last night & i think this will become my official cycle guide! Thank you.

ZomB said:
Thanks eco23 (and eveyone else)...your guide looks brilliant. Had a quick read of it last night & i think this will become my official cycle guide! Thank you.

He worked hard on that guide. We finished cycling in 20 days. Let us know how its going and enjoy AA. Thanks for fishless cycling.

Back
Top Bottom