Questions on a Few Plants for a 10g!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'll just start with my tank info:
10g
No plant based chemicals
I use stress coat dechlorinator
3 guppies, 1 Cory cat, 3 neon tetras

Plants:
Anubias nana
Wisteria
Melon sword (not definite, but close as I'll get)
Amazon sword bulbs
Anacharis

Here are pics of each plant in the order listed above:

View attachment 89537

View attachment 89538

View attachment 89539

View attachment 89540

View attachment 89541

View attachment 89542

So here are my many questions, and if you answer make sure you tell me which number you're answering:
1.)will root tabs cause the other two amazon sword bulbs to sprout and grow? Liquid ferts?
2.)will liquid ferts cause the anacharis to grow roots?
3.)how fast do anubias grow?
4.)how long before I should remove the thread? It's been on for about two weeks.
5.)how can I cause the wisteria to grow roots??? Putting the stem in the dirt doesn't work :/

I thank you in advance for answering me! :)

I don't know much but I'll do what I can since the thread has been up for two weeks?

1.) I do not know if the root tabs will help the bulbs sprout but once they have sprouted it'll help them to grow because swords are heavy root feeders.
2.) I do not know but I have heard that flourish excel will melt anacharis.
3.) Anubias grow slowly.

Hope I helped some.

Well I knew that swords are heavy root feeders, but you helped on the rest of it! The last one (wisteria and growing roots) is the most important question at the moment :)

How long have you been trying? Wisteria is one of those plants that are almost always sold in emersed mode and need to transition into fully aquatic mode. It might be in the middle of said process. Keep sticking it into the substrate until it behaves!

I have seen Sword "bulbs" ?

Root tabs and liquid ferts will help your plants. Trim off leaves of the bottom inch of the stem that you are planting. Anacharis doesn't always seem to want to root for me. I only use it in bowls and not in my tanks. I prefer Ludwigia to Anacharis for stem plants. Or Bacopa.

Anubias are slow growers, but once they establish they do grow a bit better. Mine never seem to grow and then one day I'll suddenly realize there are a bunch of new roots or a new leaf LOL

Some Flourish Excel may help also. It's a source of Carbon. Only use a 1/2 dose though as some of your plants may be sensitive to it. Dilute it in a cup of tank water before you add it.

Aqua chem, I've had the wisteria in for about two-three weeks, I thought the emersed to submersed stages were quicker for wisteria? I've seen plenty of the emersed leaves falling off (as expected) but they don't really turn brown so I cant really trim them. Can I just leave them floating or do they need to be stuck into the substrate? They have no root system whatsoever at the moment.

Corsair, I was planning on flourish comprehensive actually, what's the difference between the two? And also for your first question, are you asking what the amazon sword bulbs are? If so, I acquired three half dead plants from my siblings, so I removed all the leaves (most of which were brown) only one bulb had a single green leaf, but because it was an emersed leaf, it browned within a few days. That bulb is the sprouted one, and the other two haven't shown any sign of growth yet, I'm hoping they'll follow in the first ones steps! How can I nudge them in the right direction?

Corsair, I was planning on flourish comprehensive actually, what's the difference between the two? And also for your first question, are you asking what the amazon sword bulbs are? If so, I acquired three half dead plants from my siblings, so I removed all the leaves (most of which were brown) only one bulb had a single green leaf, but because it was an emersed leaf, it browned within a few days. That bulb is the sprouted one, and the other two haven't shown any sign of growth yet, I'm hoping they'll follow in the first ones steps! How can I nudge them in the right direction?

Excel is a source of Carbon, some say it's liquid CO2 but that makes some members here cringe to hear it called that LOL

Comprehensive is a Fertilizer. Using both may help your plants. But some may be sensitive to the Excel, that's why I said 1/2 dose of it.

Root Tabs are good for Swords. They are major root feeders. Later you may want to swap out your substrate. Eco Complete or sand may be easier for you to plant stuff in. Gravel does work, but I'm not a fan of clown puke colors ;) Sorry not trying to offend you. I use natural colors so my plants and fish are easier to see. Bright colors tend to draw your eye to the gravel instead of your fish.

Dark substrate will tend to make your fish color up better and make your plants "pop" (look brighter).

I was thinking of switching to either white or black filter sand (? The really fine sand stuff) and maybe I'll mix glitter into it :) honestly I really like the clown barf colors! And no offense taken, I think I might call it clown barf now till the end of my existence :)

I have a few root tabs on hand (like three) so how many would you suggest for the three bulbs?

I was thinking of switching to either white or black filter sand (? The really fine sand stuff) and maybe I'll mix glitter into it :) honestly I really like the clown barf colors! And no offense taken, I think I might call it clown barf now till the end of my existence :)

I have a few root tabs on hand (like three) so how many would you suggest for the three bulbs?

Glitter lives forever !

Root tabs? I'd space them out. Maybe every 6" , with the first one near the Swords ? They don't have to be directly under them.

I was thinking I might just put one under the group of three, now that I think about it, and save the rest for when the wisteria grow roots to have a jump start (which I hope happens soon!) I'm not sure how soon I can pick up liquid ferts, but my dechlorinator is running low so probly soon. I'll probly be restricted to one form of fertilizer, and my only store is petsmart, do you know if they carry flourish? And would it be better to buy tabs, liquid, or dry ferts? ( I've only heard of dry ferts in passing, still not sure if hybrid tab/liquid, or just another form of liquid)

"Some members", lol.

How much light do you have? The wisteria might not be getting enough light to flourish.

I'm not sure on the lighting, but it's definitely brighter than the light that came with the aquarium kit. Here's some pics of the light and tank, that might help :)

Oh! Wouldn't letting the wisteria float give it enough light? Then once roots are established it could be planted! But the roots won't establish
—_—"" they've all been floating for awhile, because they won't stay rooted in the gravel :/

Well, there's your problem. You need to replace those incandescent bulbs with CFLs ASAP. CFLs are those spiral 'energy saver' bulbs. Incandescents don't really have the light that plants need. That also might explain why your wisteria isn't rooting. It's not getting enough light to spend the energy to grow new appendages.

Get a couple of 10-13w CFLs and you'll have a different tank in a few weeks time.

A quick update on the three bulbs: I've put a root tab in the gravel and placed each of the bulbs around it, in hopes that it might cause the two to sprout and jump start the growth of the sprouting :)

Can I find these swirly bulbs at petco? Or would they be at ACE for cheaper maybe? And what about Costco? And another thing that might show issue is that steam/fog builds up on the current bulbs, there aren't any issues with the current bulbs, but will there be issues with the swirly ones? And one more thing, will I need to buy a new lid for the new bulbs?

alia258 said:
A quick update on the three bulbs: I've put a root tab in the gravel and placed each of the bulbs around it, in hopes that it might cause the two to sprout and jump start the growth of the sprouting :)

Can I find these swirly bulbs at petco? Or would they be at ACE for cheaper maybe? And what about Costco? And another thing that might show issue is that steam/fog builds up on the current bulbs, there aren't any issues with the current bulbs, but will there be issues with the swirly ones? And one more thing, will I need to buy a new lid for the new bulbs?

You can find mini CFLs at Petcohttp://www.petco.com/product/111943... Sun Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulb-111943
This one is what I'm trying for my tank. I'm going to use 2 bulbs over my 10g. I ordered mine off Amazon.

There are cheaper bulbs at Walmart and Hardware stores, but you need to make sure they aren't too wide for your fixture.

There should be less condensation because CFLs run cooler.

Good news !!! Mini CFLs will screw in your hood perfectly. Look for 6,500K, not 50/50 or Actinic.

Okay thanks for the info! Now all that's left is buying them! :)

Back
Top Bottom