Questions on my setup, Ferts, and algea.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcsport

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My set up is a 26 gal bow front. I have replaced te light hood with a DIY setup with 2 100w CF bulbs. Well now I have algea on things but my plant is doing great. At the time I only have one live plant. I'm not using any ferts or CO2. Should I downlize the wattage or start using ferts like Flourish Excell. I've looked at the DIY Co2 systems a little. I'm open to any advice. Thanks.

That setup is a recipe for algae as you've already found. Even with half the light you'd still have a high light setup. For a single plant this is probably overkill.

If you've still got the old hood I'd recommend putting it back on and taking some time to research planted aquariums. Once you venture into high light, CO2 and fertilization are all but necessity. Then if you decide to go back to high light, make sure to plant your aquarium densely at the same time.

Ok, I forgot I took the 100 watt bulbs out and replaced them with 40 watt bulbs when the algae statred showing. These are just the screw in CF bulbs from Wally World so they are really lower than what they say. I dont have the org. hood any more. Here s a quick pic i just took. The small plant to the left is real.
img_849896_0_582beca2830495d680827ce33c21cc8f.jpg

Last edited:
That's not quite as bad, but still well within the range where CO2 and Ferts are probably needed to keep the algae at bay. Even then, without more plants to make use of all the light and nutrients you're likely to continue to be plagued by algae.

Last edited:
100 watt bulbs? Are you talking about the CF screw-in type bulbs?

EDIT: I guess I should read the whole post. LOL

Is that 100 watts based on the CF or the equivalent value?

Last edited:
7.7 WPG seemed a bit high. Just a tad bit high...that is unless you want blind fish lol.

The one plant on the left certainly seems to be doing well, have you had it long?
Yea I'm back down to around 3 WPG now. I've had that plant for about 3-4 months now. I went to get some Excel today but all the Petsmarts in this area have stopped selling it. I did pick up the items for a DIY Co2 system.

Back
Top Bottom