Questions Regarding Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieJ

Aquarium Advice Freak
Figured I'd post here since no one really looks at my other thread. XD I bought a TOM Aquarium 13w compact florescent light about 3 weeks ago as a replacement for the cheap LED light that came with my 5g corner. The little plastic thing at the bottom snapped clean off when I was adjusting it earlier. I doubt I could superglue it for fear or it just breaking again, so I'm going to return it for a refund next week when the post office opens.

So I was browsing around Amazon today and found this Amazon.com: CL26BL-D65: Finnex Aquarium Nano Refugium Cliplight including 6500k Bulb & Moonlight LED - COBALT BLUE: Kitchen & Dining which looks very similar, but I'm also looking at this from Fluval. Amazon.com: Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp - 13W: Pet Supplies The only kind of light that will work with my tank is a clip-on. Does the 26w vs the 13w really make that much of a difference? Is 13w even the right amount for my plants? I'm growing anubias nana, dwarf hairgrass (a lot of it going brown from acclimation, but starting to come back - lots of new ones sticking out from the substrate), wisteria, and am trying to save from hygro (polysperma?) and rotala rotoundifolia. I also want some java fern to fill in the spot where the hygro and rotala melted.

Which light fixture should I get?

Bump. Anyone...? I really need to buy a replacement light as soon as possible.

I'd go with the higher wattage one. As far as how much light they put out, I have no idea. I don't think there has been any PAR readings taken from these kind of lights. Their basic design looks pretty inefficient so I wouldn't expect anything magical from each one, but I'd go with the higher wattage and hope that it'll do.

If you have a planted tank dont use LED's use T5HO lighting, and if you like the blue color just get 10,000k Lights. they are much better for plants and you can actually figureout what type of lighting you really have.

Thank you! CleverBs, I'm unable to get T5HOs and the like because of the awkward shape of my tank lid; it only allows a meager few inches for a clip-on light. I've got a betta who's prone to jumping, so that's why I need the lid. :p

I went ahead and got the Fluval for a decent price at my LFS. I'm trying to find some command strips and super glue and see if I can't work something out with the old light as well. It'd be nice to have two lights to double the wattage.

Back
Top Bottom