Questions with java fern.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a few Java ferns in my planted 10 gallon tank. I have noticed that the tips of the ferns have changed from a light green to a mushy dark green. It's hard to explain so I don't know the correct term or word for the problem. To me, it looks unhealthy. The other plants are doing well except some dwarf sag which have been showing some yellowing. I'll list some tank information to help with the problem. Any help will be appreciated!

10 gallon planted tank up and running since June 1st.
6 brass tetras
ponds snails= tons!
plants: 1 red wendtii, 1 green wendtii, numerous java ferns, 10 dwarf sags, 1anubias coffeolia, 1 anubias petite nana, 5 or 6 anacharis plus some java and willow moss.
30+ red cherry shrimp
temp= 80
ph= 7.4
ammonia= 0 ppm
nitrite= 0 ppm
nitrate= less than 5 ppm

I dose flourish, flourish excel, flourish nitrogen and flourish potassium. I have never checked for anything except what I have listed. If I have forgotten any other information, please let me know!

Looks like you could up the dosing on the Nitrate and could probably use some Phosphate too, although it's hard to tell with out any test results.

I also use 2 15 watt compact flourescent bulbs. Besides the test kits I listed above, what others would make a wise investment?

My java fern turned that way and a couple things seem to have helped. The first was I started to dose all nutrients regardless of how much, NO3 and PO4 trace amounts and micros at .2ppm iron. What also seemed to help was getting them up off the bottom as they really didn't like resting on the substrate. I put them on driftwood, a rock and now on a ceramic anchor and they are growing larger than I thought I could grow them. The dark green spots are almost gone and one of the largest leaves was almost 1/2 covered in it. I do think it could have been a side effect of the heat also but I have never heard of this so it is just a guess.

For planted tanks it's advisable to pick up a PO4 and KH test kit in addition to the ones you already have. You really only need to have the KH kit if you're going to be injecting CO2, nice to have on hand in case you suddenly decide to make the leap.

What are some ways that I can raise by nitrate levels to 10-20 ppm? I have started to dose with Seachem nitrogen but it doesn't seem to do much to the nitrate level.

I'm not saying that this is the case but I've seen this same occurence in all of my Java ferns. Older leaves will tend to get brown/dead-looking spots on their tips. I suspect that this is normal. Before you react or over-react to this, check into other threads concerning Java ferns. They are not the prettiest plants and they tend to get a bit scraggly no matter what you do :)

Gregg's Fertilizers will help you dose exactly what you need at a much lower price.

KH2PO4, KNO3, K2SO4, MgSO4, CaSO4, Iron Chelate, CSM+B. I didn't get the iron chelate nor the CaSO4 but I wish I did. Someone else may have a recommendation on if you need them or not. I think it is a good idea because it is inexpensive to get them in one order and you never know if you will need them. The PO4 and CSM+B is mixed in solution and the rest is dosed dry by adding it to a little tank water and dissolving it. I am not sure about the chelate or Calcium as I have never used them.

Here is a dosing calculator to help determine how much to mix and how much to dose. There is a downloadable version but I don't remember how to get there.

The best advice I can give you about starting a planted tank is to be patient and don't give up just because your plants don't grow in the first couple weeks. They will once they stop putting all their effort into developing roots and you will have more to worry about trimming them then them not growing.

Downloadable version.

Back
Top Bottom