quick ? about water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson

Aquarium Advice Freak
My water change bucket is 10.5 litres, my water conditioner treats 37.8L of water. So does that mean I should third the amount of capfuls I put it. also my conditioner has 3 instruction parts onr for chlorine, chloramines, and scales and fins. It says to u se one capful for chlorine, one chloramines, and 2 for scales and fins. So should I use just two and that will cover all of it or ?. thanks for any help in advance.

I use a dropper stolen from my hubby's model car painting kit. Cheap little plastic droppers, but my water conditioner is 10 drops per gal.
I would go safe and use 1/3 cap per bucket. It sounds like enough for the chlorine or chloramines. Does it explain why more for scales and fins? Do you have any scaleless tenants? If so then stick with the 1/3 of 1 cap. If all are scales... and it explaines why more is better... then 2/3 of 1 cap. Nes Pa? :?

What part of Canada do you live in? I was recently in the Bamf and Calgary area on honeymoon. :)

i live in ontario. k thanks for the help, i am going to change the water in the next few minutes. will it do any harm if there is excess condtioner cuz i heard chlorine kills bacteria so id rather be safe then sorry.

I haven't had any experience overdosing, I live with a well and my water is just a little hard. I don't use conditioners for my 2 tanks... just the betta. I have heard from others that too much will hurt the fish, especially if your have scaleless! Clorine will leach out of water if you let it sit for a couple of days before using it. I have several clean milk jugs with water sitting in my pantry, but I use them to top of tanks because of evaporation.
If any thing I would be wary of adding too much, but not too worried about not adding enough... as long as you are pretty close to the directions! :wink:

Well I don't remember who it was on here, but in a thread a while back about water changes, he said when he would do a 5 gallon water change on his 10 gallon aquarium, he would add enough declor for all 10 gals. So he was basically adding 2x as much dechlor as needed. And he never had any problems. So I wouldn't really worry.

-brent

Some dechlorinators have an additive that's supposed to help a fish's slime coat, but it does so by irritating the fish to force it to produce more slime. That would be the only reason to worry about an overdose (unless you're pouring the whole bottle in, then maybe there would be issues).

The stuff I buy only takes care of chlorine, chloramine, and metals. The whole bottle (around half a gallon) treats 1800 gallons of water. I end up using enough to treat 50 gal when I do a 15 gal change just because I can't really measure small enough to treat just 15 gal.

The dropper idea is a good one. I'll see if I can find one to try...

oh i just put a lil spray in there. since i have 10 gallons and they say to put like 5 ml and ml is like 3 drops

k well i did it and i found a 5 gallon bucket so i just put half a capful in an everyone seems fine thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom