quick alk question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

al

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how do you raise your alk if it's a little too low? thanks

-al

you can use an alk buffer. kent marine has one in a powder and i believe also a liquid form and most lfs should carry them. HTH

Washing soda or baking soda will do it as well.

What do you consider a little low? Dangerous things can happen when one starts playing with water chemistry.

well, my kh tester said saltwater will be around 8-10 (units) of KH, and i measured around 6 or 7. the brand of the test escapes me at the moment, but basically you add drops of solution until the water turns from blue to yellow, and the number of drops is your degree of KH. is this low or should i not worry?

You are fine. Unless you have a ton of Alk and Ca demanding corals, I wouldn't mess with the Alk.

What is your ph, btw? If it is around 8.1-8.3, then again, no worries.

Regular water changes will keep your Alk in the right area as well. I change my water every two weeks.

my ph is around 8.4, which is weird. in the past year it has never strayed from 8.2.
i recently moved to a new part of town and have a feeling that the tap water is different. i don't plan on investing in an R/O unit. i've been thinking about buying distilled water from the grocery store though.

i have a hair algae problem going on right now.

i change water every 3 weeks.

corals i have include a brain coral, tree coral, polyp colony, and mushrooms, which are all doing excellent except the tree coral, which is doing OK (i think this is partly because i dropped the polyp colony rock on top of it 3 weeks ago (oopps). it's definitely not dying though, actually looks like it's splitting).

my tank is a 29.

i guess i'll leave the alk alone

many thanks!

-al

You may want to consider dripping Kalk. That would up your Alk and Ca level and maintain them. You will need to get a test kit for Ca though if you wish to do this.

The Kalk will also precipitate out PO4 which may be causing your hair algae problems.

Although since you are using tap water I am sure you have a ton of nutrients in there for algae.

Back
Top Bottom