quick cycle ....??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sflyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I put 60 aragmax and 20 lbs. live sand...i bought a used tank and i'm using emporer 400 with the old bio wheel...also (i no not any help but 30 lbs. of base rock) on aug. 24. i added two shrimp on aug. 26 Yesterday (8/30 my nitrite .5 nitrate.9 and nh3 .31 and nh4 4.2. Ph and temp 8.2 and 78 .Today (8/31) nitrite 1.5 nitrate .9 and nh3 .15 nh4 1.5 ...does this sound right...

If you get some saltwater Bio-Spira it`ll cycle the tank within a couple hours. I used it in November and added the fish 4 hrs.later. This is August and all fish and inverts are still doing great.

Sounds like things are moving along well....tests rarely lie and if you see the cycle progressing (ammonia first, which spikes and then falls as nitrites spike and then fall) as yours is there is little cause for concern.

On a side note, regardless what kind of additive is poured in the tank, it is a dangerous practice to immediately add fish. There are many processes establishing themselves in a new tank besides the nitrogen cycle...and can have an impact on the longevity of the livestock.

First, keep an eye on your water parameters just to make sure you broke through your cycle. Next, if you do use bio spira, (which I have done and I believe it works) then you can simulate fish for a few days just to make sure that the cycle really occured. What I mean is, you can add about 4 drops of pure ammonia from the local grocery store to the water and see if there are bacteria to eat it up. IF you test about 5 minutes after dosing the tank you should have high ammonia. IF you test the next day and your ammonia has dropped to almost nothing, I would say you have a good bacteria base formed.

Hoops,with Bio- Spira there is no cycle at all. The fish can be added the same day but of course acclimate them first.

Thanks, my nh3 is almost gone and my nitrite just spike today....maybe i'll be ready to add fish next weekend...after buying parts for my tank for some time ...i'm ready. lol . ...hopefully...thanks again

Back
Top Bottom