quick fish less cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazingatstars12

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm a couple weeks into my fish less cycle. I'm converting 4ppm of ammonia into nitrates within 24 hours but at the momment my nitrites are holding steady at high levels. I am getting a buildup of nitrates also. I just want to make sure that high leveled of both nitrites or nitrates won't stall my cycle

Thanks

How long have nitrites been high? Have you tested PH? Is it dropping at all? Prolonged high nitrites can stall a cycle....what does it read on the test kit? If nitrites have been high for a week or more you can try to do a full water change (may take more than one depending on how high they are) to get them to a readable level on the chart (<2), then redose ammonia. Nitrites may rise again, that's normal. The nitrite phase is the longest and can typically take about 3 weeks on average.

I'm about a week into the nitrite>nitrate phase I think.. . The ammonia just started dropping consistently about 4 to 5 days ago. But nitrites/ates are both off the charts. I was just checking to see if it was possible to stall due to the buildup. If it wasn't I was just gonna wait and let it do its thing but ill change some water later tonight just in case to get the levels low enough to where I can monitor them better

Ph is 7.2

Thanks

Well I'm all done... right before I went to change the water the nitrites went from completely unreadably high to .5. I waited one more day and it was 0. I've added 4ppm of ammonia every day and tested 24 hours later for the last 3 days and it looks perfect

Time for fishies

Now if I could only get rid of my nitrite problem in my other tank

Congrats, sounds like you're done!

In regards to your other tank, does it have fish? What are the nitrite readings? How long has the tank been set up? We can help maybe, just need more info. :)

OK I changed my water and got my fishies. They're absoluteoy adorable

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130303_220527.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130303_220527.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 42
  • ForumRunner_20130303_220557.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130303_220557.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom