Quick question about brown algae.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that it's completely normal to get this in a tank that is just finishing its nitrogen cycle, but is there a point when too much algae grows? I have a crap load of brown algae in my 14g nano! H
Like a lot!!! Ill show u
I only ask because I have a green chromis in the tank that I want to be ok

image-1352531024.jpg

The brown stuff is probably diatoms. It's a silicon eating bacteria that most new tanks and sand get.
If algae does start growing it might be a good thing as it will consume nitrogens like ammonia that poison you poor little fish.

The brown stuff is probably diatoms. It's a silicon eating bacteria that most new tanks and sand get.
If algae does start growing it might be a good thing as it will consume nitrogens like ammonia that poison you poor little fish.

Or alright cool :)

Diatoms or algae are both harmless... just unsightly when they get out of control.
(Algae can choke corals, but you don't appear to have any.)

The diatoms tend to go away on their own after a while, algae you have to control with either really clean water or just removing it by hand. It seems to just be part of the joy of new tanks.

Back
Top Bottom