Quick Question about CO2 and O2 depletion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilikefishes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Some one told me to fill my tank as much as possible before reaching the black rim at the top of my tank, for less waste of co2, but now my AC power filter isn't putting enough oxygen bubbles in my tank. I run the bubbles at night for the plants (and my best little cold blooded friends of course). I'm worried they won't be getting enough oxygen during the day. I don't have that many plants to produce oxygen in the water yet either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

are you injecting co2? if not, dont worry about it... i have lots of surface agitation in my two planted tanks that are low light, low tech...

Not seeing bubbles in the water doesn't mean gas exchange isn't taking place. Unless you see your fish gasping for air or hovering at the top of the tank, I think you're ok.

It also depends on your tank dimensions. If you have a shallow (not too tall) tank, you should also be ok. It's when your tanks get taller that some fish (mainly bottom feeders) might experience some lower oxygen levels.

I think the gas exchange is blown way out of proportion. I have a 20L with an AC30, DIY CO2, and a tightly fitted Versa-Top and I regularly fill the tank until the water is touching the Versa-Top. I have 50+ guppies, 6 panda corys, a couple otos, and RCS in the tank and everyone is happy, healthy, and most definitely not gasping for air. I don't know if my plants are oxygenating the water instead, but the only time I see pearling is right after a water change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom