Quick question on 5 gallon tank with sparkling gourami.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D-Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I have a Fluval Spec V that I am going to be using as a tank for a couple of sparkling gourami. It is a moderately planted tank and I as the plants grow in will become a heavily planted tank. I have Hardscape and a significant amount of Aqua soil so the actual amount of water is closer to 4 gallons I would say. I just wanted to see if anyone thought that a small school of Nano fish could also cohabitate in this tank. I'm thinking either one of the dwarf Rasbora species such as the Phoenix Rasbora or exclamation point Rasbora, or something like Ember tetra.

I'm not sure if I even want to do this yet and will wait until after I have the sparkling gourami in the tank to see what they are really like.

Just thought I would see what you all thought on this hypothetical stocking situation.

Okay so I have a Fluval Spec V that I am going to be using as a tank for a couple of sparkling gourami. It is a moderately planted tank and I as the plants grow in will become a heavily planted tank. I have Hardscape and a significant amount of Aqua soil so the actual amount of water is closer to 4 gallons I would say. I just wanted to see if anyone thought that a small school of Nano fish could also cohabitate in this tank. I'm thinking either one of the dwarf Rasbora species such as the Phoenix Rasbora or exclamation point Rasbora, or something like Ember tetra.

I'm not sure if I even want to do this yet and will wait until after I have the sparkling gourami in the tank to see what they are really like.

Just thought I would see what you all thought on this hypothetical stocking situation.

A 5 gallon tank is going to be to small for even 1 gouramis. 2 is way to much especially if you end up with 2 males that are agressive to each other. its a definite no on anymore fish. If you haven't gotten the 5 gallon yet and you are set on gouramis then look at getting a 10 g at the minimum and a 20 g would be much better. If you have the 5g already then maybe a single betta or even a shrimp tank would be my recommendation.

A 5 gallon tank is going to be to small for even 1 gouramis. 2 is way to much especially if you end up with 2 males that are agressive to each other. its a definite no on anymore fish. If you haven't gotten the 5 gallon yet and you are set on gouramis then look at getting a 10 g at the minimum and a 20 g would be much better. If you have the 5g already then maybe a single betta or even a shrimp tank would be my recommendation.
Sparkling gourami only get 1.5" technically they are smaller than a betta. How is 5 gallons to small?

I was going off this information.
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichopsis-pumila/

You could do a couple of sparkling Gourami in that tank. If it's heavily planted there should be hiding spots if you get aggression. If they happen to be male and female then even better. I'm not sure what you could keep with them in a 5g. It would have to be very small and peaceful. Put everything in as juveniles around the same time.

Thank you. I may not do anything else. A
I'm actually leaning that way. But I want to know my options.

I'm actually getting 4 and was going to wait until I can get a pair and rehome the others. They will be coming at about .5" long. I know I can not keep more than two as they start to mature.
You could do a couple of sparkling Gourami in that tank. If it's heavily planted there should be hiding spots if you get aggression. If they happen to be male and female then even better. I'm not sure what you could keep with them in a 5g. It would have to be very small and peaceful. Put everything in as juveniles around the same time.

I'd say depending on tempermant of the 4 you get you could get away with 4. Bioload isn't gonna be the issue it will be the aggression and that depends heavily on the particular fish you get. Might take a watchful eye and some experimenting along with good tank maintenance but it isn't impossible.

Thanks for the opinion. I'd be more comfortable with that many in a larger tank. Though if somehow I ended up with one male and three females I guess it would be theoretically possible. I just have a feeling that if I have more than one male the tank would not be large enough for them to strike out there own territories.

I'll definitely keep it in mind though.
I'd say depending on tempermant of the 4 you get you could get away with 4. Bioload isn't gonna be the issue it will be the aggression and that depends heavily on the particular fish you get. Might take a watchful eye and some experimenting along with good tank maintenance but it isn't impossible.

Sparkling gourami only get 1.5" technically they are smaller than a betta. How is 5 gallons to small?

I was going off this information.
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichopsis-pumila/

Its to small because they should be kept in groups not just 1 or 2. Also like I said earlier if you do 2 and they are both male then it doesn't matter how well planted and how many hiding spots you have they are going to constantly see each other because it is such a small tank and one will probably end up dead. Its completely up to you though. If you are happy putting them in that size tank then go for it.

Thank you for your opinion. I understand what you are saying.
Its to small because they should be kept in groups not just 1 or 2. Also like I said earlier if you do 2 and they are both male then it doesn't matter how well planted and how many hiding spots you have they are going to constantly see each other because it is such a small tank and one will probably end up dead. Its completely up to you though. If you are happy putting them in that size tank then go for it.

Back
Top Bottom