Quick question re: end of fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatewaylabs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay - I believe I'm finally done with my fishless cycle (took about a month). Past 2 days have dosed up to 4 ppm with ammonia, then measuring the following day (yesterday morning and this morning), ammonia and nitrites are both zero and this morning nitrates were quite high - like 40+ ppm. I did a ~90% water change a bit ago, added some Prime, and hope to add fish tomorrow.

Now my question - do I need to add a touch of ammonia today to keep the bacteria alive after the pwc? I have a 55-gallon tank - how many fish should I put in there - in the past have had the typical danios and tetras, plus angelfish and a few bottom-feeders.

Thanks!

If you're gettting fish tomorrow I'd wouldn't bother dosing ammonia. The bacteria will be fine for a day or two without food. Be sure to turn down the temp if you've had it increased for the cycle.

The good thing about a fishless cycle is that you can pretty much add your stock at once. You could add half the stock and then wait a week and add the other half. If you wait too long though the bacteria will adjust down to the fish level so you'll lose some bacteria.

Okay - I believe I'm finally done with my fishless cycle (took about a month). Past 2 days have dosed up to 4 ppm with ammonia, then measuring the following day (yesterday morning and this morning), ammonia and nitrites are both zero and this morning nitrates were quite high - like 40+ ppm. I did a ~90% water change a bit ago, added some Prime, and hope to add fish tomorrow.

Now my question - do I need to add a touch of ammonia today to keep the bacteria alive after the pwc? I have a 55-gallon tank - how many fish should I put in there - in the past have had the typical danios and tetras, plus angelfish and a few bottom-feeders.

Thanks!

I just got my 55g set up Friday in it I have 4 rams, peppered cories and platys, 1 balloon Molly and albino pleco, 5 bronze cories and 6 serpae tetras. According to aqadvisor I'm at a 94% stocking level.

To OP, you can add a pinch of fish food to keep them fed. Good going on the fishless cycle. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom